Default Commanders War Diaries

Hello good folks of the FWR forum ... once again I turn to you for help and guidance.

I recently re-watched Band Of Brothers (HBO boxset)for the first time since my dad passed away ... we watched it together the first time.

Whilst it has been emotional, I have been immersed in it and totally gripped once again by the snapshot of life in front line military units. It has re-ignited my desire to learn of my dad's specific whereabouts and unit ooperations during Operation Overlord.

I have my dad's service record from an original enquiry to MOD in 1998 but the bit I am really needing to find is the detail of his specific locations during the period 11/04/44 to 03/08/45

The MOD letter says that such information may be available from the Commanders War Diaries within the PRO in Kew, which, given the advancement of online access I have tried to access what I believe to be the correct documents (WO 171/2791 and WO 171/6990).

The National Archives has told me that there is a six-year document migration in progress and that I'll need to order the documents above or engage a researcher and that I may need to contact Veterans UK on the GOV.UK website if the docs are still held by the MOD.

If there is anyone on this forum who has knowledge or experience of dealing with these catalogues I'd be grateful if you will give me an accurate steer on the best way to get the information I'm looking for without too much fuss or delay. I don't even know if these catalogues are the right ones or the only things that will help me ... I don't know what else is out there that might contain gold nuggets!

Thanks for your consideration.

Stuart

My father's details are:

Corporal Albert Leonard Fisher S/N 14558895 Served in RAOC from 04/03/43 to 21/09/48
    Overseas service: NW Europe 01/07/44 to 20/08/47 and then British Army of the Rhine 19/12/47 to 13/06/48

Hi Stuart
    There is this site which eplains a little about how to research WW11 diaries and offers a copying service.
    researchingww2.co.uk

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Many thanks Christina this is an excellent steer ... just what I needed I think.

I'm just deciding my next steps but gut-feel is to engage Rob to undertake some research for me. Do you know him or have you engaged him for specific things? The testimonials look good but his e-mail address isn't showing ... I don't suppose you might have it?

Stuart

Hi Stuart
    I found Rob's site just by googling for stuff and haven't used him personally. It's weird that his email address isn't showing at all for me. Have you tried looking for him on the social media sites?

The National Archives has a guide to independent researchers Here

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks again Christina.
    Unfortunately, Rob's not listed in the independent researcher list. I guess I just need to be patient and wait until he becomes contactable via his website or I need to engage someone else. That's with me though ... nothing else to be done.

Best,

Stuart