I came into the possession of a Waterloo Medal named to Gunner John Mason, Royal Foot Artillery. Mason appears to be the only "Gunner" on the Medal Roll whilst there is another in the RFA, but that man was a Driver. My problem is this man has a surname that is not unusual on the Roll so finding the origins of this particular chap has not been easy. Further, this soldier was assigned to the Artillery Reserves and so apparently did not actually participate in the battle at Waterloo (which makes me doubt the genuineness of the medal?).

I have found sources that site him as being a member of both Capt Courtenay Ilbert’s and Capt Thomas Hutchesson's Detachments. On the original Rolls, I find him only with Capt Hutchesson's Detachment. References to Ilbert's Company indicate that the Det was involved with moving ammunition from ?? to ?? for the Artillery Reserve in prep for the final battle?

I have found a ref regarding Hutchesson being employed on garrison duties but when and where I am unsure as there is so much conflicting info. I can also find no indication whether Hutchesson's company had participated in either Ligney or Quatre Bras?

In summary, I am hoping the collective knowledge of this forum may be able to help with the following:

1. I have possible enlistment dates for Gunner John Mason ranging from: Aug 1793, Feb 1810, Dec 1810, Apr 1813 and 1815. Gnr Mason is referenced in Dec 1810 with Hutchesson's Company and in 1813, Hutchesson's Company, 3rd Battalion, Royal Foot Arty. Is it possible to isolate my Gunner Mason as to when and where he enlisted, his age and home etc to prove his identity?

2. If that can be confirmed, I would then hope to find out when and where Mason served from enlistment to discharge which hopefully will confirm or rule out any service with Capt Ilbert. There are references to the Peninsula Wars however not being able to date or positively identify him, I cannot pin down where or how he was employed (boy or man), or when in fact he was eventually discharged - again several possibilities in the Chelsea Hosp records but inconclusive.

Given the conflicting info I have, I also cannot tell which is reliable from that which may be erroneous.

Any help to positively ID this man and his origin, would be most gratefully received.

Kind regards, Ian(medalmanz)