Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Family Tree Software

I have an old laptop that I keep as it contains Family Tree Maker. The software probably goes back to about 2007, I can't remember exactly but I think it could have been one of the the fist editions of FTM. I kept it because it produces perfect family trees giving all the information that people wan like census entries. I purchased a copy of FMT 2012 but never used it much, I continued to produce trees from the old version. I do a lot of research for relatives and friends so the trees that the old version produced is perfect.

What I would like to know is can anyone recommend a tree making software that will show all the information and I can print out a tree (even though I only have an A4 printer, I usually stick all the pages together!) I use Ancestry but cannot find anywhere to add items to the trees that this software shows me.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that Ancestry only connects with FTM2019 and RootsMagic. Whether either of those will read the information from 2007 I don't know. I used suggest you try their help lines.

I use FTM2019, and have used FTM for many years. Originally I think FTM was owned by the Mormons who then sold it to Ancestry who then said they were not interested in maintain it, or the ability to synchronise trees been Ancestry and the software. Mackiev then stepped in and bought FTM and working with Ancestry managed to re-establish the ability to synchronise. I suspect that it was around this time that the older versions of FTM became incompatible with this new interface, because I can recall that it took 18 months or more to get the interface working correctly.

Super Moderator

Now I look back, my old laptop used Windows 98! I manually enter all the info again into this old version of FTM and then I can choose what I want printed when I print the tree.

Looks like I will have to continue that way.

I'm still using FTM2011 for similar reasons. Their "print all trees in the database" output is invaluable for my OPS. My WIN is up to date, and it's starting to complain about failures to do this or that, so I'm also beginning to wonder about changing. They scrapped many of the features I like when they upgraded!

If you want to play around a bit with it Sue you could download the free version of Rootsmagic then try exporting your tree gedcom from ancestry in to it.
    On the Rootsmagic website there is a table comparing what the free and pay versions do and don't do so from that you will know whether either version does what you need.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I am new to this site, so bear with me if I'm doing something correctly. I have been working on my familys' trees for over 35 years and have lost the software I was using. I "come & go" with research and I'm looking for suggestions on software or some other method of organizing all my info. I'm not interested in those DNA sites and not looking for a monthly subscription. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by todd_dad View Post
    I am new to this site, so bear with me if I'm doing something correctly. I have been working on my familys' trees for over 35 years and have lost the software I was using. I "come & go" with research and I'm looking for suggestions on software or some other method of organizing all my info. I'm not interested in those DNA sites and not looking for a monthly subscription. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As you will have seen from Sue's query and Lesley's reply, software programmes alter over time, sometimes losing the very feature which was one of the main reasons for you buying it in the first place.

The next thing to consider (in my opinion) is how computer-literate you are. On three occasions I had someone show me step-by-step instructions on how to enter one particular thing which I carefully wrote down. Back home, I allegedly followed the instructions but never got the end page I was supposed to. Goodness knows what I did wrong, but eventually I just gave up with that programme and did my own thing (even drawing up a family tree of direct ancestors on Excel. ) I'm still recording everyone and everything to my own system though I have progressed to entering the tree on the free version of Tribal Pages. You can upgrade to a more singing and dancing version.

Where are most of your ancestors from? Some programmes are more US-based in the way you can enter records.

I would suggest that you enter 'comparison of genealogy software' into a search engine, have a look what's available, and possibly take out free trials with one or two of them. You don't get all the bells and whistles of the programme with a free trial, but you do get an idea of how easy a programme is to use. You don't have to enter all your family tree - just enough to try out the features.

You can enter your tree on FamilySearch for free but, as with sites such as Ancestry and Findmypast, the T&Cs clearly state that you give the site permission to do what they like with your data.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Still looking...

Thanks for the reply.

My search is continuing in the UK around the mid/late 1600s. I did all my research prior to have internet in the early 1990s. I enjoy the research and frankly, I'm kind of a private person. That's why I stay away from those sites that offer "free" tree makers only to read the find print, as you stated, that the content become a part of their bundle.

All I'll trying to do is to find a software that will simple allow me to create my trees with the ability to post pictures and site references.

Anyone out there with suggestions?

See my post #5.
    I use the free version but have not linked to ancestry even though it does offer that choice. I like the clear and plain print and set up of Rootsmagic. Once in a while I download other fre vrsions but find most of them too fussy in their layout.
    Why not download the free version and see if you like the layout and features offered?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator

I have been using Ancestry for years, before that it was Family Tree Maker (which I don't think exists now). I subscribe to Ancestry and have the full world subscription. I usually log on most days so it is worth it to me. I also use Family Search which is free, always has been and is very useful. Then FreeBMD too. Free and also useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast