Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Trevor Rudge

I’m helping my other half’s grandmother find her grandparents. Her father was John Trevor P Rudge, born 13th March 1900 near or around Stourbridge, West Midlands.

The GRO index brings back 4 names around those birth dates. None of them with matching middle names (but I presume this is common?).

I purchased the birth certificate of John Rudge, West Bromwich 6b 943, but the birth dates don’t match (24/04/1900). The closest other location is Dudley, but a bit of digging on John Henry Rudge, it seems to be a gentleman with a mother’s name of Powell who moved to the US while he was about 6.

John married Margery Rudge in 1926. I don’t have any more information other than his death in 1987 in Wolverhampton.

I’m not sure where to go from here.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Two of John and Margery's children have Poston as one of their Christian names. The 1921 Census has a John Trevor Poston Rudge and a Beatrice Poston Rudge living in Bridgnorth. John Rudge married Margery Hale in Bridgnorth in 1926.

Unfortunately I cannot access the 1921 Census but I'm guesing that Beatrice is John's sister.Nor can I find a birth for either John or Beatrice. They do not seem to appear together in a Census until 1921 and there does not seem to be a John/Beatrice marriage either.Your best bet would be to buy John and Margery's marriage certificate, if you don't have it already, as that will give you the name of John's father

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are a number of things that you can do.

Firstly if you look at his marriage, do you have their marriage certificate? If so what does that say about his father, and also what does it say about their occupations? If you don't have have their marriage certificate then you should order a copy; details below:

Name John T Rudge
    Registration Date 1926
    Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration district Bridgnorth
    Spouse Margery Hale
    Volume Number 6a
    Page number 842

If you can get access to Findmypast you will find him in the 1921 census. If you don't have access your local library may well be able to help. However, what I can tell you is that his full name was John Trevor Poston Rudge, and that he was married to someone else (Beatrice) and that he says that he was born in Shrewsbury. I've had a quick look and have not been able to spot a likely marriage with Beatrice. However a Beatrice Rudge died in 1922 at Bridgenorth who would have been the right age.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post

Unfortunately I cannot access the 1921 Census but I'm guesing that Beatrice is John's sister.
    It definitely says that they are married.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a birth registration

John Trevor Poston Jun 1900 Atcham 6a 670 no mmn given. Could your John have been adopted?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello JamesH95,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I don't know where you got John's birthdate from but the good news is that the birthdate on his death registration is the same as that in the 1939 Register.

John married Margery Hale in March quarter 1926, Bridgnorth registration district.
    In 1939, one of the children in the family (living Clark Road, Wolverhampton) is John D P Rudge, and a little digging revealed that his full name is John Derek Poston Rudge.
    Father John is listed as John T P Rudge, so it didn't take much guesswork for him to be John Trevor Poston Rudge. When there is a surname included in a person's name it's usually a connection to an earlier surname in the family, or else the person was illegitimate, and that was their surname when they were born.
    As you said, no suitable John T P Rudge born in 1900, but there was a John Trevor POSTON, birth registered June quarter 1900, Atcham registration district. No mother's maiden name given, which usually means an illegitimate birth.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/atcham.html

Not having a lot of luck with finding John-born-1900 in the 1901 census.
    He is not the John T B Rudge living in Sunbury. That's John Thomas Bert, born in 1898.

I have found one possible, but you really do have to purchase a copy of John Trevor Poston's birth certificate to confirm his mother's name.
    If she is Alice, then the census reference is RG13/2670 folio 73 page 8.

Order the birth certificate from
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    You can order a black-and-white PDF copy sent by email for £7 (might be six, can't remember) which is cheaper than a fancy red/pink paper copy.

John T P Rudge was a widower then he married Margery. He married Beatrice Cook, also known as Beatrice Tasker, December quarter 1920, Wolverhampton registration district. He married as John T P Rudge, also known as John T Poston.
    Beatrice died March quarter 1922, aged 26, Bridgnorth registration district.

Although it's more expense, you should get at least one of John senior's marriage certificates, just in case he gives a name for his father.

ADDED: I hereby state I have not copied anything. I am just a very s-l-o-w typist.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

1911 census Claverley Shropshire has Alfred Rudge 42, Caroline Rudge 54, married 22 years. John Poston 11 boarder, born St Julian Salop, James Churchley 8, boarder.

Alfred rudge and Caroline Williams married in Wolverhampton 1888.
    Alma

The writing on this 1901 census is almost illegible, it has Alfred and Caroline Rudge and two others, one which could be John. Ref Piece: 2670 Folio: 73 Page number: 8
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    1911 census Claverley Shropshire has Alfred Rudge 42, Caroline Rudge 54, married 22 years. John Poston 11 boarder, born St Julian Salop, James Churchley 8, boarder.

Alfred rudge and Caroline Williams married in Wolverhampton 1888.
    John is with Alfred and Caroline, along with Alice, classed as Stepdaughter to Alfred in 1901.
    My theory is that Alice is John's mother, but that can only be confirmed by his birth certificate.

If you go back to the 1891 census the plot gets even thicker as Alice is still listed as Alfred's stepdaughter but her surname is Blunt. No Alice E Blunt birth registration 1881-1891.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Alice Elizabeth Blunt, Baptised 23 May 1883, Heath Town, Holy Trinity, Staffordshire.
    Parents: Robert Blunt, Caroline Blunt
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast