Starting to feel at home

Default Henry BOND, brickwall great-grandfather

I've been trying to find the birth and parentage of my great-grandfather, Henry BOND, for years and years. He was supposedly born in Ryde, Isle of Wight, about 1847 but no birth or baptism, and he doesn't appear in the census until he married. He was a prison warder and possibly an ex-soldier, and when he married he said his father was David Bond, tailor. (No sign of him either!) My summary is here, if anybody ever has the time to cast a fresh pair of eyes: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bond-5862

Just one quick question today, though! My Granny was baptised on the 2nd December 1888 at St James' Chapel, Newport, Isle of Wight. Does anybody know if this was Newport Congregational Church in St James's Street? If it is, do you know where I can find the parish registers for that church online? I'm hoping to browse through the images to see if I can find any church friends or neighbours that might lead to other clues!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen the British Civil Service Evidence of Age document on FMP?
    It states his DOB:22 Sep 1848, Sandown, Isle of Wight.( to the best of his belief)

The document is dated 9th May 1884.

There also an address which I can’t quite make out,24 Unoc*** St,Portsmouth.

There’s a transcript & an image on FMP.

You may already know this website.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HAM/IOW#ChurchRecords

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Have you seen the British Civil Service Evidence of Age document on FMP?
    It states his DOB:22 Sep 1848, Sandown, Isle of Wight.( to the best of his belief)

The document is dated 9th May 1884.

There also an address which I can’t quite make out,24 Unoc*** St,Portsmouth.

There’s a transcript & an image on FMP.

Yes, thank you for trying to help. I do have that one included in the WikiTree summary link I posted above. (It's Union Street, I think!)