Thread: Grave Numbers

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Grave Numbers

Ancestry have a data set "UK, Records of the Removal of Graves and Tombstones, 1601-1980", and a hint popped up in respect of this.

I was chasing down records for a Sarah Ann Ogden and up popped a hint suggesting that she died 5 Feb 1867 aged 37, which stacks in with other available information. She is/was buried in Grave No. 3014 together with 4 other individuals: 3 named Taylor and the other a John Ogden aged 47 who had died 8 Dec 1847.

Some of the graves listed have multiple surnames buried in them, and others just one person. In the comments section of this book where they are known relationships are listed. There are no such comments against Grave No. 3014.

Now Sarah Ann was married to John Ogden, who outlived her, so he cannot be the individual buried with her. The husband was born around 1830, and from the marriage record I know that his father was also called John Ogden, about whom I have found no information because the name is just too common.

So my question is would it be a reasonable assumption to make that the John Ogden who died in 1847 was probably the father in law of Sarah Ann?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

So my question is would it be a reasonable assumption to make that the John Ogden who died in 1847 was probably the father in law of Sarah Ann?
    Its probably reasonable to assume it & go in search of confirmation, but personally I'd say not reasonable enough to add to a tree as a 'fact'.

Unfortunately the full entry doesn't add much:
    Burial: 10 Dec 1847 Rusholme Rd Cemetery, Chorlton-on-Medlock, Lancashire, England
    John Ogden -
    Abode: Manchester
    Grave: 3014
    Cause of Death: Fever

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thanks Jomot1 - I agree that its not a fact, but I was worried that I was going down a rabbit hole without any means of escape!