Starting to feel at home

Default john jones High Ercall

I am trying to trace back my Jones ancesters. James Jones marries Mary Pugh in 1841 in Wolverhampton and i mhave them on the census returns from 1851 to 1891 living in Green Lane, Wolverhampton. Various plaqces of birth are recorded for James High Ercall, old Park and Wellington all in shropshire. on his marriage certificate in aug 1841 james is the son of John Jones deceased.of full age. in 1841 prior to his marriage he is lodging in green lane aged 20 with the Bowkley family.
    i have fround a baptism of a james jones on 30 august 1818 at High Ercall son of john jones but cannot find anything else out...no siblings or buriel or marriage....

The children named below were all baptised at High Ercall to John and Ann Jones.

James 30 Aug 1818 abode Ercoll

John 30 Nov 1823, abode crudginton

Mary 29 Apr 1821 crudginton

Thomas 19 Jun 1815 by crudginton Bridge

William 13 Mar 1814 Tern
    Alma

A john Jones married Ann Davies, 06 May 1813 High Ercall, witnesses Thomas Davies and Elizabeth Lawrance [sic] all four left their mark.
    Alma

i have fround a baptism of a james jones on 30 august 1818 at High Ercall son of john jones
    Maybe not your chap as there's this burial

James Jones 09 Apr 1837 age 18, at High Ercall, abode Crudgington.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Maybe not your chap as there's this burial

James Jones 09 Apr 1837 age 18, at High Ercall, abode Crudgington.

Well that has put the cat amongst the pidgeons for that buriel is the right aga and right place for the baptism i had found and thought was my John Jones...correct fathers name .he gave his place of birth or it was given as high Ercall, old park and wellington soother parishes need to be checked or rechecked....still a brick wall but thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    Well that has put the cat amongst the pidgeons for that buriel is the right aga and right place for the baptism i had found and thought was my John Jones...correct fathers name .he gave his place of birth or it was given as high Ercall, old park and wellington soother parishes need to be checked or rechecked....still a brick wall but thank you.
    I am disappointed for you Groundhopper, but best to find out now before putting more effort into the wrong chap.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I am disappointed for you Groundhopper, but best to find out now before putting more effort into the wrong chap.
    yes thanks for that...but where do i go now...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    yes thanks for that...but where do i go now...lol.
    Back to the drawing board. When I have some spare time I'll take another look, in the meantime my advice is to search in surrounding parishes, use Genuki to help with nearby areas.
    Alma

This may be clutching at straws, but I get suspicious when a description such as "High", "South", "Great" is included in a place name (other descriptions are available). It suggests that others existed. Just as a test, I had a look and found that Wikipedia (I only own gazetteers for Scotland, sorry)says that the name could relate to a number of places in Shropshire. They give as examples Ercall Hill, High Ercall and Ercall Magna and Child's Ercall... Magna physically includes High.

If all else looks to be failing, it might be worth checking the historical use of others? A clerk could have got it wrong..