Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Help with an occupation please

I am doing some research for a maternal cousin into her paternal side. Her father was in the Royal Navy which may have been his national service. He bought himself out to marry in 1955 and then joined the Metropolitan Police.

The 1955 marriage certificate gives his occupation as "M.E.I. RN". My thoughts would be that this might be mechanical engineer or similar but I'm not sure he was a practical man in that sense so would appreciate any other/better ideas please.

I did 'Google' this but it didn't help ..............

Thank you!

As you say, difficult to find anything definite. The closest I can come is Marine engineer, see here

Doesn't seem to involve practical physical work as such but finding a way for others to fix it as in - Engineers take scientific knowledge and convert it into technology, and then take that technology and convert it into a working solution/innovation
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Could it be Marine Engineer (Class) 1?
    Current RAN guidelines - https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualificatio...qualifications

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Knowledgeable and helpful

My thanks to both of you. The chap was quite a practical man and although I wouldn't have labelled him an 'engineer' it does seem likely. I will ask the family member who knew him if it makes sense to them.