Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Arthur William Baker

I am trying to trace my grandfather who served in the RAF in the Second World War. All I know is he was born in 1903, he lived in Pinner, married with one child, and possibly served in Lincolnshire as ground crew.

Unfortunately, both my parents are deceased as are both sets of grandparents, so I have no further information. As a Veteran myself, I would love to know more about my Grandfather. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.

I do have photos but not sure how to put them on here.

Thanks for reading

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    It’s much harder to find WW2 RAF servicemen without their ranks and service numbers.. However, until recently it used to be possible to apply for WW2 service records with just the full name, RAF and date of birth. When I get to my pc, I’ll check because they recently handed over the records to TNA if no one has said anything before then.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello JulesA,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Some of these questions will seem irrelevant to you, but trust me, we need the answers to correctly identify Arthur.
    How absolutely positive are you that he was born in 1903? There's several Arthur Williams born in 1903, as well as in 1902 and 1904.
    When, and where, did he die?
    When did he live in Pinner
    Do you know who he married and when (or approximately)?

You can apply for Arthur's service records but you need further information before you can apply. Do read all the posts in the following thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-WW2-amp-after

You can post photos though I doubt if they would be useful (million to one chance someone is going to say 'oh he was my neighbour in 1967'.
    Instructions re posting can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...os-on-Brit-Gen

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

IF your Arthur was born in Camberwell in 1903 (there is a birth reg) there is a 1911 census record for an Arthur born Camberwell 1903, living with his parents in Portsmouth. Probably not yours.

Do you know if there were any brothers or sisters?

I see that Pam's posted the link that I planned to give you.
    Good luck!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    IF your Arthur was born in Camberwell in 1903 (there is a birth reg) there is a 1911 census record for an Arthur born Camberwell 1903, living with his parents in Portsmouth. Probably not yours.

Do you know if there were any brothers or sisters?
    That Arthur is still living in Portsmouth in 1921, though transcribed as being born in Cumberland. Haven't checked the 1939 Register for him.

I have found another Arthur born 1903 living in Pinner in 1939. His birthdate of 26 October 1903 would fit with the one whose birth was registered December quarter 1903, Lewisham registration district. Mother's maiden name Loomes.

Other people with Arthur in 1939 are (presumed) wife Edith born 7 Feb 1898, a daughter, and two others.
    John E born 4 April 1905, and Margery A, amended to Marjorie A, born 27 Dec 1912. Are they perhaps married?
    Marriage registration John E Baker and Marjorie A Humphris, Bathavon (somerset) registration district December quarter 1936.
    Would seem that John is Arthur brother. Birth registration John Edward Baker, June quarter 1905, Lewisham registration district. Mother's maiden name Loomes.

Likeliest marriage for Arthur and Enid is December quarter 1927 Oswestry registration district, bride's surname Parry.

In 1911 Arthur is living with his parents and siblings in Newport, Monmouthshire. Census reference RG14PN31988 SN88.
    Parents Ernest James Baker and Frances Mary Loomes married September quarter 1899, Lewisham registration district.

1921 Arthur William, aged 17, is back living in Lewisham with various family members.

Likely death registration for Arthur William, birth date 28 Oct 1903, New Forest registration district, December quarter 1981.

Enid's death registration, birth date given only as year of 1898, is New Forest registration district, Juen quarter 1985. She left a will.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”