Thread: muriel parsons

Lightbulb muriel parsons

hi i am looking for a still born baby 30/2/1971 wold to see if she was register
    regards Muriel parson baby born in uk st catherines hospital

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by muriel parsons View Post
    hi i am looking for a still born baby 30/2/1971 wold to see if she was register
    regards Muriel parson baby born in uk st catherines hospital
    we are now in our 80s and would like to know xact date either 30th ot 31 feb 1971

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello and welcome to British-Genealogy to you both.

Firstly, I amended Muriel's post because it contained details of living people which is a breach of our T&Cs.

There was no such date as 30 or 31 February in 1971. Nor indeed in any year, because February usually has only 28 days, though every fourth year (a leap year) it manages to have 29 days.

To the best of my knowledge, all stillbirths are registered but the details are held in a special, closed, register at the GRO. (General Register Office, who are responsible for all birth, marriage and death registrations in England and Wales.)

I am desperately trying to find the precise information regarding who can apply for a copy of the certificate. From memory, it's only parents, and I think proven siblings. You have to contact the GRO who will send an application form which you then send back to them with the appropriate fee.
    Contact details for the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...contact_us.asp
    Note the bit about including GQ in the heading of your email, so it should read something along the line of 'GQ - re application for a stillbirth certificate'.
    There is probably more than one St Catherine's hospital in England or Wales, so you will need to supply the name of the place, as well as a more accurate date. If I were you, I would explain that you live in Australia, and ask if they could confirm that the stillbirth was registered before you go through the process of obtaining a sterling cheque to pay the fee. The GRO will not give any further details but they might be willing to confirm they have a registration, especially if you provide details of the parents and the sex of the baby.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Re my belief that the stillbirth would have been registered.
    https://www.gov.uk/register-stillbirth
    Scroll down to the bit headed 'If neither parent can register'. I suspect those 'rules' applied in 1971, and in fact since stillbirth registration came into being in 1927.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”