Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isiaiah Watt

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Isiaiah Watt

Hi everyone
    I am having trouble trying to verify Isaiah watt's place of birth.

on his australian marriage cert he states Scotland in 1861.
    parents Thomas Watt and Alice Carr (kerr).

but his siblings were born in Inishative Tyrone Northern Ireland.

siblings: John Edward Coulson Watt 1864; Thomas Love Watt 1859; Minnie 1866
    his parents were married in Inishative Tyrone 1855.

so why would he be born in Scotland.

hoping someone can verify,
    Doreenh

Super Moderator

When did he marry? Any idea when he went to Australia?

There are a few military records for that name born in 1861 (one Chelsea Pensions Admission Book, born Tyrone, served in India then there is a comment which looks like Egypt and Australia) So if you can give a few dates and any info. you may have on him, it may be helpful.

Super Moderator

There are two census records 1891 Saddleworth, Yorkshire. Minnie, single living with mother Alice, a widow and
    1911 Thomas Love Watt, living in Saddleworth, Yorkshire with his wife Mary Jane and two sons, Thomas William (age 4) and James Stanley (age 2)

Looks like John died in Cty Tyrone in 1867. I wonder is Isaiha was registered in a different name, just looking at his brothers who seem to have second and third names.

Super Moderator

Sorry, just found another. Minnie obviously married as I see her on the 1901 census, again in Saddleworth. Her name is now Minnie Beighton and she has two children, Violet age 5 and John age 1. Also living with her is Thomas Love Watt, Minnie and Thomas born Ireland, Violet and John born in Saddleworth. Not that any of this helps with your original question!

Super Moderator

Have you got all these census records? It's just that I have found another for 1881 showing more children: Ethan, James Dobson and Mary Ann, parents Thomas and Alice (Thomas Love with them too) still Saddleworth. Ethan was born in Staffordshire, 1873, mother's maiden name Karr. Both James and Mary Ann were born in Ireland. I estimate the family came to England sometime after 1871. James emigrated to Canada, later married and had 5 children (1901 Canada census) One called Minnie.

John's (27 May 1864), Mary Ann's (20 Nov 1866) and James' (23 May 1869) birth registration are on Irishgenealogy.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

His service record with the Coldstream Guards is online and says he was born Termine/Fermine (Fermanagh?), Tyrone.

I assume this must be him as it notes his marriage on 14 Mar 1888 in Victoria, Australia and the birth & baptism of Norman Charles in 1892. It also mentions Adeline Olive Watt born 1890 and Stanley Langford Conway Watt in 1898, but no place of birth or baptism details given for these two.

ADDED: It looks like he later transferred to the rifle brigade.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 16-01-2023 at 5:01 PM. Reason: added info

Super Moderator

The entry for the Chelsea Hospital has him in the Rifle Brigade.
    Stanley Langford Conway Watt was born 31 May 1898 in Camden Town. Looks like he was in the Navy but then the RAF. His civilian Occupation was a Chemist Apprentice. Father listed as Isiah 26, Sneath Avenue, Golders Green. Isiaiha's wife was Adeline Jane. If this is the correct family, then they must have returned to the Uk. Stanley died on 1st March 1943.

Electoral Roll has Isaiah and Adeline Jane at 26 Sneath Avenue from 1919 to 1934. Not sure we have the right family here. Can you let us know please Doreen?

Famous for offering help & advice

I think it must be the right man. The service record noted his intended place of residence as the Falkland Islands, which I thought strange, but there are death notices for him in 1939 as Captain Isaiah Watt, aged 78 (so born c1861) which give his address as 26 Sneath Avenue, Golders Green and say he was 'late Commandant of the Falkland Island Volunteers'. Also Adjutant 5th Battalion City of London Volunteer Regiment (National Guard) 1914-1918.

ADDED: As well as the death notices, there are some lengthy obituaries.

ADDED FURTHER: Although his army record definitely says he was born Tyrone, this article about his son says Aberdeen, Scotland: https://www.falklandsbiographies.org...es/watt_norman
    Last edited by Jomot1; 16-01-2023 at 6:07 PM. Reason: added info

Super Moderator

His probate notice is showing too,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast