Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JOHN LEON CRAWCOUR-ROSETTA HAMBURGER

This new thread is part of my ongoing review and update on my Crawcour and associated lines. I began my family history research over twenty years having identified David Crawcour 1791-1882 as my 4x great grandfather and his daughter Ann Rebecca aka Rebecca as my 3x great grandmother. My initial research ( I knew nothing about my paternal lines and nothing about my Jewish roots at the time) was greatly helped by Dr Anthony Joseph who was President of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. He gave me details of Crawcour relatives including those in Australia. I wrote to these individuals including the relatives and descendants of Sim Crawcour 1892-1975 who had married Doris May Jacobs 1898-1992. They kindly replied and sent me more information.
    Without this initial help I am doubtful if I would have been able to do the research I have done or complete the family history book on my Anglo Jewish lines.

I hold a wide range of data on the Crawcour lines world wide including a major data base and readers on this forum will be aware of the numerous posts I have written over the years on my paternal lines. This latest thread provides some greater detail on the specific line.

As a very brief re-cap Isaac Crawcour 1816-1886 and Esther Cashmore settled in Australia and their descendants plus my Hart line still remain.Isaac Crawcour was one of the sons of David Crawcour who died in St.Helier Jersey. These Crawcour lines are among my distant cousins. I have written about Isaac and Esther on this forum.

In this thread Leon aka John Leon Crawcour 1853-1932 is a son of Isaac and Esther. He married Rosetta Sophia Harriet Hamburger 1868-1936 and had several children.

I want to start with the parents of Rosetta Hamburger based on newspaper and other records.
    Her father was Simon Hamburger 1818-1891 who married Elizabeth aka Betsy Lazarus 1826-1893.
    On JewishGen UK 1851 Census data Petra Laidlaw has identified but with significant questions to be answered that Simon Hamburger ID 22128 1817-1891 b Pszcyna Poland maybe the same person who is recorded in the 1851 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 1546 387 2 8
    54 Church Street Holy Trinity Minories
    Simon Hamburger H Widower 36 Merchant b Germany Inprush ( I take this to read In Prussia)

In her notes Petra has said that more research is needed to confirm that this Simon is one in the same as the Simon who who died in Australia.

In her notes she identifies the parents of Simon Hamburger as Moses Hamburger and Rosa Freund.
    In the case of Elizabeth Lazarus who married Simon Hamburger 29 August 1860 Melbourne Synagogue her parents have been recorded as Emanuel Lazarus 1786-1847-Sophia Simmons 1791-1850. This line appears in the 1841 Census ( I will provide an update on the address and reference in a later post).
    Synagogue Scribes have the Marriage record for Emanuel and Sophia- GSM 116/30
    Emanuel LAZARUS Hebrew name Manley (son of Priv Member) 1808 10 August father's Hebrew name Simon Chansford ( Chelmsford)-Sophia SIMMONS Hebrew name Tsipora father's Hebrew name Jacob Ritter
    GSMEM H 545 Emanuel Lazarus Hebrew name Mendele Syn Rec 1809 4 Feb father Simon Lazarus see also GSM 225/112 1857? H436 GSM 305/38 -1835

The Lazarus/Simmons line can be seen on Cemetery Scribes ID 1563 Emanuel Lazarus and Sophia Simmons ID 1562 her father Jacob SIMMONDS and mother Leah Zachariah 1771-1843

Nb The surname Simmons/Simmonds appears inter changeable and this is the same within my own Simmons/Simmonds lines.

I will post further.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

In my previous post I referred to the 1841 Census for Emanuel Lazarus and Sophia Simmons and their children:
    1841 Census (Copyright TNA)HO107 710 14 4 6 5
    Petticoat Lane
    Solomon Lazarus 20 Broker born in county
    Sophia Lazarus 50
    Emanuel Lazarus 55 Cigar
    Simon Lazarus 25 Cigar
    Ralph Lazarus 20 Apprentice
    Jacob Lazarus 12
    Samuel Lazarus 10
    Elizabeth Lazarus 15
    Sarah Lazarus 14
    All above born in county

There are family trees which have the parents of Emanuel Lazarus as Simon died 8 November 1814 see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 880 a Broker 14 Bell Lane Spitalfields Middlesex with wife Catherine aka Kitty and son Joseph and brother Henry.

His father is named in the family trees as Rabbi Eliezer Teicher of Hainsfurth.

Nb I have not checked the accuracy of the data and am cautious unless there is confirmatory proof of relationships

There are several other children listed in the family trees for Eleazer and Sophia but these need confirming.

This post includes data on the Deaths of Simon Hamburger and Elizabeth Lazarus in Australia:
    On the 6th inst at his residence Victoria Street Ballarat East,Simon the beloved husband of Elizabeth Hamburger aged 73 years..beloved father of Mrs Leon Crawcour and M E Hamburger The Argus Melbourne Mon 8 June 1891

On the 5th August at the residence of her son in law, Leon Crawcour 110 Bourke Street Melbourne, Elizabeth, relict of the late Simon Hamburger of Victoria and Humffrey Strrets aged 69 years- interred Old Cemetery
    The Argus Melbourne Monday 8 June 1891

Mrs Hamburger respected mother of Mr Hamburger of this city, died in Melbourne on Saturday morning presumably of heart disease at the age of 69. The remains will be brought today by train from Melbourne .. The Ballarat Star
    Jewish Chronicle Sept 15 1893
    On August 8th there was buried at Ballarat Mrs Elizabeth Hamburger widow of the late S Hamburger, like her late husband the deceased lady was highly respected for her great kindness of heart and charitable disposition. She died at Melbourne on Saturday August 5th and the body was conveyed to Ballarat so that it might be buried next to her husband.

Findagrave Simon Hamburger Ballarat Old Cemetery Victoria- photograph of tombstone with Hebrew and English inscription.

Australia Death Index Simon Hamburger 73 Ballarat Victoria Parents Moses, Rosa

Probate-Elizabeth Hamburger death 5 August 1893 Melbourne widow Grant 6 Sept 1893 110 Bourke Street Melbourne Victoria Proved Maurice Emanuel Hamburger 10 Armstrong Street Ballarat Jeweller sole executor

Ballarat Old Cemetery -Elizabeth Hamburger 7.8.1893 G section 4 Row1 Grave 10;Simon Hamburger 8.6.1891 G Section 4 Row 1 Grave 2

Marriage On the 21st inst.at the Synagogue Ballarat..Leon Crawcour son of the late Isaac Crawcour,Geelong to Rosa Sophia Harriette only daughter of S GHamburger of Ballarat. The Herald (Melbourne0 Sat 31 March 1888

The following is an initial outline of the children of Esther Stella Ccrawcour 1888-1920 married Felix Henry (Loffelholz 1883-1956; Isaac Vulcan 'Richard/Dick' Crawcour 1890-1938 married Verna Sylvia Nathan 1887-1947; Simeon (Sim)Crawcour 1892-1975 married Doris May Jacobs 1895-1992;Elizabeth ( Elise)Crawcour 1893-1980 (unmarried); Maurice Emanuel Crawcour 1894-1961 married Rebecca Abraham 1899-1965; Samuel Lewis Crawcour 1898-1968 (unmarried); Henry Leon Crawcour 1899-1970 married Doris Sarah Rebecca Abraham 1902-1985; Rose Victoria (Vic)Crawcour 1911-2003 (unmarried)*** This data has been taken from Ancestry family trees and needs confirming and data added.

This post provides data on Esther Crawcour 1888-1920 who had married Felix Henry.
    Marriage Miss Esther Crawcour Bourke Street Synagogue Tues 19 June 1915 to Mr Felix Henry. Her parents acted for the bride and Mrs A Phillips and Mr Samuel Crawcour acted as supporters for the bridegroom. The Hebrew Standard of Australisia (Sydney) Friday 22 Jan 1915.

Felix Henry appears in earlier Australian Newspaper articles during WW1 one of which refers to 'Enemy Subject' The Bundaberg Mail and Burnett Advertiser Sat 18 Nov 1916. The accusation was that he was dealing in diamonds and gems with a partner in Antwerp in contravention of the trading restrictions imposed during WW1. He was bankrupt and was carrying on business at Clifton View Street Woollhara as a jeweller formerly of Central Avenue Mosman carried on business at 198 Pitt Street Sydney-Government Gazette Private Notices Friday 18 November 1927

Tragedy was to effect the family. Esther was found dead in her bathroom in 1920 the cause of death a faulty connection on the gas boiler which caused carbon monoxide to build up. The couple had two sons -Leon Simon David 1915-2006 and Maurice Phillip 1918-1982.

Her death was recorded in the Coroner's Inquest report. Her obituary appeared in the Jewish Herald Friday 3 Sept 1920 where her scholastic achievements were described including her being awarded a BA and MA University of Melbourne.

She died intestate and her mother Rosa was granted guardianship of the two boys with Felix Henry Gem Merchant NSW renouncing all claim to be appointed guardian of his sons stating that he was not a resident of Victoria and 'not well known in Victoria or NSW and probably will leave Australia due to business affairs'. He left funds for the support of the two boys.
    Esther is buried Rookwood Jewish Cemetery Section 4 Row 3 Inscription MA wife of Felix Henry, mother of Leon and Maurice Death 10 August 1920.

Felix re-married and died in 1956- Rookwood Jewish Cemetery 26 June 1956 Zone G Section 18 Row 16. Records state he was born in Krakow Poland and others that he came from Austria.

The following data relates to the death and burial of Leon and Rosetta Crawcour-
    JewishGen online world wide burial registry Leon Crawcour Hebrew name Yehuda b abt 1853 Death 28 November 1932 age 79 Section G Row G Plot 857,1 father's Hebrew name Yitzchak Melbourne General Cemetery

Victoria Australia Cemetery Records-Leon and Rosa Crawcour Headstone transcription Death 28 November 1932 Victoria Melbourne ..In loving memory of Rosa Crawcour died 15 August 1936 aged 68...In memory of Leon Crawcour died 28 November 1932 beloved husband of Rosa and loving father of Esther,Dick,Sim, Elise, Maurice,Samuel,Henry and Vic

Death The Argus ( Melbourne0 Monday 17 August 1936
    Rosa Crawcour- On the 15th August at 5 Fitzgibbon Crescent Caulfield,Rosa widow of the late Leon Crawcour, loving mother of Esther ( deceased),Dick, Sim, Elise, Maurice,Sam,Henry,Vic and grandmother of Leon and Maurice,Henry and Beth and Lynette Crawcour aged 68 years ( Interned Melbourne General Cemetery....... Same newspaper Rosa loving mother of Henry and Doris and grandmother of Joan and Michael

This post provides data on Solomon Jacobs 1857-1942 and his wife Elizabeth Leah Levy 1861-1936 the parents of Doris May Jacobs who married Simeon aka Sim Crawcour. In addition, I will post data on the parents of Solomon Jacobs - Morris Jacobs c 1825-1927 and Frances Emma Burnett 1830-1930.
    The children of Solomon Jacobs and Frances Emma Burnett aka Emma Frances- Morris 1886-1959, Michael Fred 1887-1966, Harold Leslie 1891-1950, Vera 1893-1981,Charles Norman 1895-1983, Doris May 1898-1992, Henry 1901-1924,Myrtle 1903-1985

The Herald (Melbourne) Wed 20 August 1930 Death Emma Frances Jacobs late of Victoria Parade Geelong widow died 4 July left real estate £5880 and personal property £44800 to her son Solomon Jacobs and her grandson Emanuel Percy Ackman-other gifts to her children,grandchildren, great grandchildren, relatives,friends and several charities- £500 to her daughter in law Mrs Elizabeth Leah Jacobs wife of Solomon Jacobs Draper Malop Street Geelong

Burial- Emma Frances Jacobs Hebrew name Yenta b abt 1830 Death 4 July 1930 Age at death 100 Burial 6 July 1930 Section 1, Row LEV-31 Plot 50,1 Father's Hebrew name Avraham Avinu Mother Sarah Imanu-Geelong Eastern Cemetery

Death- Morris Jacobs Geelong oldest resident passed away Dec 3 at the age of 102. His widow is 98. They celebrated their 75th anniversary of marriage.. The surviving family consists of Councillor Sol Jacobs, Mrs Sam Jacobs(Geelong), Mrs Coronel ( Toorak)

Obituary-Morris Jacobs Geelong Advertiser Tues 20 December 1927
    "In 1862 the late Mr Morris who was born in London came to Geelong with his parents. Subsequently he established a drapery business in Yarn Street. This business was the foundation of the well known emporium in Malop Street which has connections in all parts of the state... he was married in Geelong in 1854.. He leaves three children Cr.Solomon Jacobs, Mrs Sam Jacobs, Mrs A coronel, 22 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren Geelong Advertiser Tues 20 Dec 1927

Default SOLOMON JACOBS 1857-1942

Death -Solomon Jacobs 1857-1942 Geelong
    The Australian Jewish Herald (Melbourne) Thur 12 Nov 1942
    At his home in Geelong Cr.Solomon Jacobs. He had been a member of the Geelong Council for over 40 years and on a number of occasions held the office of Mayor... The Eulogy was delivered at the graveside by Rabbi Danglow who referred to him as .."this fine Australian, this true hearted Jew..."
    The Argus ( Melbourne0 Mon 9 Nov 1942
    Councillor Solomon Jacobs survived by 5 sons and 3 daughters.. funeral will leave his late residence at 3.30 pm today for Geelong Eastern Cemetery

As a follow up to Elizabeth Leah Levy the wife of Solomon Jacobs and parents of Doris May Jacobs see the thread Rebecca Goldsmid 1872-1934-Joseph Salmon started 29.4.2016. In the early thread I identified the parents of Joseph Salmon as Abraham Salmon and Fanny Ackman. The parents of Fanny Ackman were Emanuel Ackman and Rachel Harris. The parents of Elizabeth Leah Levy were Michael Samuel Levy 1832-1894 and Sarah Ackman 1837-1916.
    The Hart/Goldsmid/Crawcour families relate to each other through several marriages and I have posted on some of these relationships on this forum. Given that several of the children of Aaron Hart and Ann aka Rebecca Crawcour settled in Australia as did their Crawcour relatives it should be no surprise that the various families further related through marriages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast