Thread: Freereg

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Freereg

Folks,
    Has anyone been able to run a sibling search on Freereg?
    Eric

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I don't think it's possible on Freereg. Have you tried FreeBMD?

Pat,
    Pre 1837..Previously used familysearch but techies have almost strangled the site.Thought Freereg would be the go as their coverage is expanding.
    Eric

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You can't do a precise sibling search, but if you put in a first name and surname, date range, at least a county, and select baptisms, then scroll down to beneath the 'county' box there's a 'family members' box you can select. That will give you all the instances that that name appears in a baptism record, either as the child or the father/mother. Obviously works best if one of the parents has an unusual first name, or if the surname isn't very common. Not quite so useful if the name is John Smith though could be helpful if you select a town/village and not leave it county-wide.

ADDED:
    Post-1 July 1837, it will also work for marriages if you input the father's name. (In the early post-1837 years it does depend on the vicar using the new registers - some did cling on to the old-style registers for a few years.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I’ve run a sibling search on Familysearch. Feed it the paternal surname, both parents forenames, only a surname for the child, a time span and location. It’s not perfect, but mostly works

Folks,
    Thanks for your responses.
    I am tracing a Smith family from Yaxley,Huntingdonshire!!I am using the PR's on CD and was looking for another source.I have exchanged emails with Freereg and now have the answer.
    Instead of the familysearch method using surname and parents,Freereg ask you to enter father or mother's name and result will be all the children baptised with that parent.
    Another mystery solved.
    Eric

Let us know how you get on?

Freereg have responded and the matter will be referred to tech people to use familysearch type search or add instructions to current page.
    Will let you know further.