Default Reginald George KETTLE

Hi all

I would really appreciate any help in getting a positive ID in service records for the following:

Reginald George KETTLE
    Born Tonbridge 3rd quarter of 1924
    Thought to have served in North Africa in WW2
    Possibly artillery regiment

Not sure if that’s enough to narrow it down, but it really is all I’ve got.

Eternally grateful for any help
    Dave Dixon

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Dave
    If you came to us from Forces records then this will explain the connection.

WW11 service records are still held by the MoD and can be applied for but at a cost of 30 pounds and you need a copy of the death certificate. Are you sure this man is deceased?
    See our guide to applying for WW11 service records.
    There can be snippets of information re WW11 service men but nothing detailing their service records.
    Lesley, another moderator on BG, has written an explanation about WW11 records Here

getting back to possible snippets of information I took a look at the newspaper archives on Findmypast and there is a very short article titled Worthing Prisoners of War Coming Home in the Worthing Herald Friday 22 October 1943. It refers to the repatriation of wounded soldiers one of whom is a Corporal R J Kettle R A M C son of Mr V R Kettle and Mrs kettle. This is not your man because the middle initial is wrong and the parents of your bloke were George Kettle and Nellie W Stevenson who married in the registration district of Dartford Kent in June 1/4 1923.

Just seen another article about the above R J kettle and his full name is Robert James. Unfortunately can't see anything for Reginald George in newspapers

He married in 1955 Tonbridge registration district March 1/4.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Using FreeBMD there are 3 possible children's birth in the Tonbridge registration district. A daughter June 1/4 1958, a son March 1/4 1963, another son March 1/4 1968.

The son born 1968 is on Facebook and is also in the basic index on 192.com

Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It looks as if Reginald died in March quarter 2015 in Kent.
    If you need a copy of the death certificate then apply through the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    (Only ever apply for BMD certificates from either the GRO or the local Registrar's office; they are the only people who have access to the BMD registers.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for the help and advice. Is there any way to establish just unit and service number without applying for the full service record? Is there anything similar to the WW1 medal cards for instance? Many thanks.

There is no definitive way to know which small pieces of information relate to the man you are investigating. Do you not want to try making contact with his son on Facebook?

Forces War Records have a WW11 record 1948 for an R G Kettle service number T/14462502 a driver in the Royal Army Service Corps.
    There is also a record 1940 for an R G Kettle Lance Corporal service number l4978533 of the Sherwood Foresters.
    You would have to pay to get the full record but it is doubtful if the records will contain any more personal information to connect either of them to your man.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Thanks for your reply. I am in contact with his son Ivan who has no information at all. Reginald George KETTLE was born in 1924 so presumably could not have served before 1942 which seems to rule out the man in the Sherwoods. I appreciate your interest.

Be cautious about assumptions. I don't know about the army, but my Dad(b.1922) joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant when he was 15 (the school leaving age at that time). Once the war had started, some lied about their age to joined up (and some got away with it).

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

This is possibly him, from World War II Royal Artillery Tracer Cards on Ancestry

Name: Reginald George Kettle
    Enlistment Date: 17 Dec 1942
    Regiment: Royal Artillery
    Military Unit: 10 Trg Regt RA (Field)
    Service Number: 14381782

You will need to apply for his service record to confirm.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hi. Thanks very much. This appears to be the best match so far, and fits with another piece of info I’ve just received. I appreciate your help.