Default Canadian records: Lt. Col. William Grassie

Hi all,

This is a shout out for help as I've reached a sticking point.

I'm trying to piece together the patchwork of my great uncle's life in Canada. I have a fair bit of intel about William Grassie already, particularly his military career as he was high ranking and bestowed with numerous honours but his civilian life is a bit of a mystery.

I have been in touch with researchers in Manitoba and they have provided some further insights into his business interests and successes but I'd dearly like to see records of his marriage to Margaret Greig in 1902 in Montreal and any/all of their passenger list information for any trips to/from the UK.

I can't establish when he/they emigrated to Canada (they could have met there)and whether or not Margaret died in Canada. William died in Vancouver 14th July 1935 and is buried there.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stuart

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

First if all, have you checked the 1901 and 1911 Canadian census for any details regarding occupations, where born, when immigrated, etc?

Regarding the marriage, have a read of this.
    https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki...l_Registration

Presumably you've checked the cemetery in which William is buried in case Margaret is buried there too?

Not sure what Canadian newspapers are online. Search for Canadian/British Columbia/Manitoba newspapers archives online. I don't know about the 1930s but nowadays Canadian newspaper obituaries are a mine of information.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

The memorable Manitobans website records Margaret as dying in England in 1948. There is a death in the Dec quarter 1947 of a Margaret J Grassie age 73 in Pancras registration district (London UK)
    Canadian census records have Margaret's place of birth as England

Family search have a Maggie Greig born England, arriving in Quebec in Nov 1902 on the Corinthian and heading to Montreal who could be worth checking.

William Grassie was working at an uncle's farm in Distington Cumberland in 1891.

There is a Maggie Jane Greig b Harrington 1874 and who is in the Harrington and Distington areas in censuses who could be worth considering.

Various census records are available on family search. They state that William arrived in Canada in 1893 and Margaret in 1902.

Thanks everyone ... these are good steers and I'll work through the bits I haven't done already.
    I appreciate you all for taking some time to get me on the right path.

When I have corroborated findings I'll share them in this thread for completeness.

The marriage was in Westmount Quebec and seems to be on ancestry with Margaret's surname transcribed as Guay. Sorry I am unable to check.