Default EFFIE BEATRICE COURLANDER-ESIAS FRIEDMAN

This thread is part of my ongoing research into my Hart/Courlander and associated paternal lines started over 20 years. The thread should be read in conjunction with the much earlier thread Norton Courlander-Amelia Wulfson started 25.7.2013. My own paternal line is Hart/Crawcour/Jacobs/Myers/Cohen and I have posted numerous data on these lines on this forum.

This thread relates to Effie Beatrice Courlander daughter of Norton Courlander/Amelia Wulfson and her marriage to Esias FRIEDMAN. I also have Friedman aka Freeman links to my Kirby line but currently have insufficient data to link the Friedman lines to each other beyond a commonality of last name.

The GRO Marriage- Esias Friedman-Effie Beatrice Courlander July qtr 1923 Marylebone 1a 75

The couple settled in South Africa and had 2 children- Deborah Margaret Friedman born 17.3.1925 who married Gunther B ROST; Cecil Frederick Abraham Friedman born 11.7.1926

There is record for Nicolas Friedman and Esias Friedman under the firm Friedman Brothers at Heidelberg C C dissolved 3 May 1910 The Cape of Good Hope Government Gazette 13 May 1910.
    There is a Death Record for a Nicolas Friedman b 1865 age 75 Married born Lithuania General Dealer Death 25 November 1940 Acute cystitis Cardiac failure Swart Street Heidelberg District Swellendam Nb I do not know as yet if he is the brother of Esias.

I will post further.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

The following data relates to the South African Death Notices for Esias and Effie.
    Death Effie Beatrice Friedman (born Courlander) age 64 years 10 months widow Housewife 26 Croydon Road Cambridge East London Death 30 June 1951 Cause of death Pulmonary Thrombosis, Hypertension,Cardiac enlargement Journeys End 331 Ocean View Drive Sea Point Cape Town- son present at funeral Burial Pinelands Cemetery. Children Deborah Margaret Rost (born Friedman)b 17.3.1925 married Gunther B Rost; Cecil Frederick Abraham Friedman single b 11.7.1926

Esias Friedman b Russia Retired General Farmer died 20 July 1940 Frere Hospital West London Cause of death Cerebral haemorrage,arterio sclerosis 42 St Peters Road East London

Burial -see eggsa.org Photograph of Esias Friedman tombstone with Hebrew and English inscription East Cemetery East London

The South African Records have a range of references to Esias Friedman including court cases.

The 1921 Census ( Copyright TNA) 3 The Green Richmond
    Amelia COURLANDER wife 61 married b Manchester Lancashire
    Effie dau 33 single b Richmond Surrey
    Sara dau 32 single clerk b Richmond Surrey 4 Bloomsbury St.W Pelman School
    Kathleen dau single 26 b Richmond Surrey Journalist reporter Daily Express
    Marjorie dau 23 3 mths single Temporary civil servant Ministry of Pensions Regent Park NW b Richmond Surrey
    Frederika WULFSON sister in law 57 6 mths single b Lancashire Manageress Jewellery Estellas? 56 George Street Richmond Employer N Courlander
    Norton Courlander Head 67 Married b Lo..ts? Naturalised British Subject Resident Watchmaker,jeweller George Street and ?Lane Richmond

There are several Passenger Shipping records which show Effie with her 2 children travelling from South Africa to Southampton during the 1920s with their UK address as Gothic House Richmond - this is the house of Norton Courlander

Marriage 16 January 1950 East London Cape
    Deborah Margaret Friedman 24 Orange Free State Short hand typist 26 Croydon Road East London
    Gunter Bruno Rost 35 b Germany Divorcee Photographer Rembrandt Studio East London
    Witnesses Effie Beatrice Friedman;Beryl I Spary?

1st marriage of Gunter Rost -23 February 1946 East London Cape
    Gunter Bruno Rost 31 b Germany Photographer Bachelor 74 Oxford Street East London
    Beth Gardner Munro 22 b England Spinster Photographer's Assistant 18 St.Georges Road East London

There was a Court case in 1949 regarding the separation of the 1st couple

Marriage West London Synagogue St.Marylebone 18 July 1923
    Effie Beatrice Courlander 35 spinster Gothic House The Green Richmond father Nathan Courlander Merchant
    Elias Friedman 48 Bachelor Farmer Arundel Hotel Arundel Street WC Father Abraham Friedman Merchant
    Married according to the usages of the Jews
    Witnesses Norman Courlander, Minister Vivian G Simmons, Bertram St.Cowen

Nb The first name of the groom is recorded in the JewishGen UK Marriage records as Elias not Esias. Similarly, there is a Norman Courlander which maybe Norton Courlander