Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Research dad during WW2

Hi from Scotland -I'm one week into this journey, so really new to this. It takes a bit of getting used to, knowing where to look, there are so many sites to look at! Here's to a new adventure for 2023!

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums. if you came to us from Forces War Records our connection is explained here

Have you purchased your dad's WW11 service record from the MoD/ If not this explains how to,and what you will need.
    here

The National Archives also hold war diaries and various other documents.
    Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by researching dad View Post
    Hi from Scotland -I'm one week into this journey, so really new to this. It takes a bit of getting used to, knowing where to look, there are so many sites to look at! Here's to a new adventure for 2023!
    It's OK, it's not a race, nor will you have to take an exam after only being a forum member for three days.

Take your time, look at the different sub-forums; in many of them you will see something called 'a sticky' at the top of the page. They contain important information about a subject which has been 'stuck' at the top so it doesn't get lost in the general queries. For instance, Christina's link to applying for service records is at the top of the WW2 1939-1945 sub-forum of the main 'History topics' forum.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-WW2-1939-1945

Lesley has written a helpful guide regarding how to formulate a query which can be found at the top of the 'Navigating Brit-Gen' forum.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...us-to-help-you

If your family is mainly Scottish, check out https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...pman-Code-SCT)
    especially the stickies at the top of the General Scottish Family History section.

Don't be scared to ask. Even the people who have been here since 2004 were 'newbies' once upon a time. (And for me it was a big step from a mailing list specifically for one subject, e.g. the county of Essex. I remember
    going at the time, wondering how I was going to cope.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for all the info Pam!