Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default again looking for very old ancestry Rimini

Hi all, best wishes for a healthy, happy 2023

Am again revisiting this family: I am looking for data and espically birth data of:

Joseph Jacob RIMINI, born between 1774 and 1779 in London to Jacob Rimini and Esther Fionquino. Both parents born in Italy, Joseph died 1855 in Amsterdam and was buried in the old Portugese Jewish cemetery Beth Haim, with his wife Lea Samuel Duque (1789-1866)

Some documents like in Amsterdam set his birthyear on 1774, some on 1776, some 1779 so am wondering what is the correct date and year, where was he born etc.
    Have checked Familysearch, BMD but nothing.

Maybe you can be of help once again, thanks.

Hi Paul
    A happy New Year. You need to get a copy from your Dutch library ( or else visit the Amsterdam main library) of The Birth Register (1767-1881)of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Congregation,London Published 1993 -139pages Chloe Loewe and Miriam Rodrigues-Pererira. This publication also contains Circumcision Register of Elias Lindo 1767-1785.

From memory your Rimini are Sephardic Jews based on their Beth Haim burial records and if I am right your focus should be the Bevis Marks records as indicated above.

You can buy the Bevis Marks records but the library access and loan is your best bet to save you money. Check out via your Dutch library to see if you can get access to the Birth Register.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Paul
    A happy New Year. You need to get a copy from your Dutch library ( or else visit the Amsterdam main library) of The Birth Register (1767-1881)of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Congregation,London Published 1993 -139pages Chloe Loewe and Miriam Rodrigues-Pererira. This publication also contains Circumcision Register of Elias Lindo 1767-1785.

From memory your Rimini are Sephardic Jews based on their Beth Haim burial records and if I am right your focus should be the Bevis Marks records as indicated above.

You can buy the Bevis Marks records but the library access and loan is your best bet to save you money. Check out via your Dutch library to see if you can get access to the Birth Register.
    Hi Philip, hope you are doing fine.

Thanks again for your kind help,will see what I can get from these records
    Have a nice evening
    Best wishes, Paul

Dear Philip

Hope you are doing fine.
    In line of the old ancestors I need data on:
    Simon Rimini born Amsterdam 19-7-1845 and died in Bethnal Green so it seems 1916, buried Newham cemetery march 1 1916, not 100% sure because could not contact that cemetery
    Anna or Annie Toscane born around 1851? believe you before said she was Dutch, in indexes city archive she is not neither is her father John, she died around 1928?Could not find anything on her, trouble is with kast name you get only tourist data.
    Children were somewhere named as Abraham who seemed to have married Rosannah Cooling, then John and Rebecca born about 1885 died 1966, these names and data are from a guy who has a separte site on the Riminis.
    Hope you can help me out, thanks for your kind reply.
    Am currently putting a lot of Rimnis in the family tree

Trust you won't mind my responding, in spite of your direct request to Phillip, having previously responded to an earlier thread of yours about Simon Rimini.
    In the 1911 Census Simon declared he had 8 children, all still living, and had been married 42 years.

Birth Registrations -
    Registration district - Whitechapel, London
    Surname - Rimini (unless otherwise stated)
    mmn - mother's surname before marriage as appears in the General Register Office entry (a transcription, not the original)

Michael, Sep Qtr 1871, mmn - Tuscani
    Alexander Rimoni, Dec Qtr 1872, mmn - Tuseany
    Jacob, Jun Qtr 1874, mmn - Taceny
    Solomon, Jun Qtr 1876, mmn - Tasceng
    Abraham, Sep Qtr 1880, mmn - Coscane
    John, Mar Qtr 1882, mmn - Koskani
    Henry Rimini, Dec Qtr 1883, mmn - Koskani
    Rebecca, Sep Qtr 1885, mmn - Joscenie

My earlier post advised you that I had found the military papers for John Rimini, who named his father as
    "Simon Rimini, 28 Northampton Street". This is the 1901 Census address of "Simon Rimini, Vegetable Costermonger & Hawker".
    John also named his brothers as "Michael, Alexander, Jacob, Andrew, Abraham, and Henry" which fits the birth registrations listed above except for the Andrew/Solomon entries?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Beek1956 View Post
    Dear Philip

Hope you are doing fine.
    In line of the old ancestors I need data on:
    Simon Rimini born Amsterdam 19-7-1845 and died in Bethnal Green so it seems 1916, buried Newham cemetery march 1 1916, not 100% sure because could not contact that cemetery
    Anna or Annie Toscane born around 1851? believe you before said she was Dutch, in indexes city archive she is not neither is her father John, she died around 1928?Could not find anything on her, trouble is with kast name you get only tourist data.
    Children were somewhere named as Abraham who seemed to have married Rosannah Cooling, then John and Rebecca born about 1885 died 1966, these names and data are from a guy who has a separte site on the Riminis.
    Hope you can help me out, thanks for your kind reply.
    Am currently putting a lot of Rimnis in the family tree
    Hi Paul,
    The death of 'a' Simon Rimini, aged 71, was registered in March quarter 1916, Bethnal Green registration district. As there is only one Simon Rimini recorded in the 1911 census, he's married to Annie, and living in Bethnal Green parish which is in Bethnal Green registration district then this would have to be 'your' Simon.
    There is no need to contact Newham cemetery and it's highly likely to be a waste of time anyway as they will no doubt refer you to Deceasedonline (dotcom) who have the records for Newham cemetery. The record will tell you where Simon is buried - plot number etc. If you go to the website, enter Simon's name and year of death, and then click on his name in the result, the site then tells you what information you get for various sums of money. The cemetery office might give you the information for free if you visit it in person, though I can't guarantee it.

A search of https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for births, marriages and deaths, coupled with https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp for mother's maiden names of children born prior to 1912 and ages at death for people who died before 1866 will enable you to sort out most of the family.

The census are free on Familysearch though you won't get all the details that you see on the actual images. If you have a Church of Latter-Day Saints family history centre in The Hague, then you should be able to access the images there.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Paul,
    The death of 'a' Simon Rimini, aged 71, was registered in March quarter 1916, Bethnal Green registration district. As there is only one Simon Rimini recorded in the 1911 census, he's married to Annie, and living in Bethnal Green parish which is in Bethnal Green registration district then this would have to be 'your' Simon.
    There is no need to contact Newham cemetery and it's highly likely to be a waste of time anyway as they will no doubt refer you to Deceasedonline (dotcom) who have the records for Newham cemetery. The record will tell you where Simon is buried - plot number etc. If you go to the website, enter Simon's name and year of death, and then click on his name in the result, the site then tells you what information you get for various sums of money. The cemetery office might give you the information for free if you visit it in person, though I can't guarantee it.

A search of https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for births, marriages and deaths, coupled with https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp for mother's maiden names of children born prior to 1912 and ages at death for people who died before 1866 will enable you to sort out most of the family.

The census are free on Familysearch though you won't get all the details that you see on the actual images. If you have a Church of Latter-Day Saints family history centre in The Hague, then you should be able to access the images there.

Pam
    Dear Pam, thanks very much for your kind input, hope all is well with you
    Best regards, Paul

The following newspaper article might prove useful- At the City Summmons Court
    "Simon Rimini a coster summoned for obstruction said " Five of my sons are in the Army, so I am entitled to something". Sir Marcus Samuel only fined him 1s"
    Daily Telegraph and Courier (London)3 March 1900

I have yet to check the military records for the Rimini brothers carefully but Henry is recorded and other names are listed.

With regard to the Rimini burials I have yet to check the Bevis Marks burials for post 1900. JewishGen hold records for Neuvo up to 1918 burials but I have not looked carefully as yet.

See The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park- Michael Rimini b 1871 died 8 August 1915 of pneumonia age 41 Bethnal Green Military Hospital - he was on Home Service. There is more data on him on the site. See also request from Squadron Leader F M Rimini (Retired) July 1988 seeking details of Michael Rimini service record Private in the 10th Battalion London Regiment. The response was that most records for 1914-1920 were destroyed in enemy action in 1940- see Commonwealth War Memorial data.

I have not posted full data but the above is the salient information.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    See The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park- Michael Rimini b 1871 died 8 August 1915 of pneumonia age 41 Bethnal Green Military Hospital - he was on Home Service. There is more data on him on the site. See also request from Squadron Leader F M Rimini (Retired) July 1988 seeking details of Michael Rimini service record Private in the 10th Battalion London Regiment. The response was that most records for 1914-1920 were destroyed in enemy action in 1940- see Commonwealth War Memorial data.

I have not posted full data but the above is the salient information.
    Thanks Philip for all your kind help and replies.
    I am a bit stuck sometimes since so many sites ask for quite some money to get data, here like in Amsterdam many data is just online without pay.....
    Have a good weekend, best regards, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast