Default FRANCES HART- JAMES HENRY BREASTED

This thread provides an update and further data on Frances Hart 1872-1934 daughter of George Hart and Helen Watkins. Frances Hart married the Egyptologist and researcher James Henry BREASTED. In the early thread Imogene Hart Richmond Bearsted 2.12.2013 I had incorrectly spelled the surname Bearsted instead of Breasted.

Nb This thread should be looked at in conjunction with much earlier threads:
    Michael Hart 1802-1861-Frances Davis 1814-78 started 28.1.2016 - George Hart was the son of Michael and Frances. This is a Jewish line who settled in the USA and can be seen on the First American Jewish Genealogies ( Stern Collection). So far, I have not seen on Ancestry Public trees any connection made to this line and there are gaps in the parents of George Hart.
    In addition, the HART Jewish lines can be seen in the threads-UK -US Descendants of Benjamin Hart of London 13.12.2013; Sarah Hart 1847-1889 Died France 21.12.2022; George Hart 1834-1886-Helen Watkins 1845-1919 2.12.2013; Benjamin Hart New York -Paris-Hart Millions 25.11.2013

James Henry Breasted married the 2 daughters Frances and Imogen of George Hart and Helen Watkins.The second marriage to Imogen Hart followed the death of her sister Frances in 1934.

I will post census and other data on Frances and James including their children.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

In the following posts I will provide census and other data on Frances Hart and James Henry Breasted.
    In my last post I included a link to the will of Sarah Hart the sister of George Hart and aunt to his children including Frances. In her will (1898) Sarah left bequests to Frances including her diamonds.

Death records Frances Hart Breasted-b 22 December 1872 San Francisco,California Death 15 July 1934 age 61 Chicago,Cook County Illinois burial 17 July 1934 Housewife father George Hart b Lynchburg Virginia, mother Helen Watkins b Mendham,New Jersey Spouse James H Breasted- Cenotaph Mountain View Cemetery Oakland,Alameda County California Plot 6 Lot 41 ( the inscription on the tombstone includes her sister Imogen).

1880 US Federal Census ( Copyright US Federal Archives)
    San Francisco California
    GEORGE HART 44 M collector b Virginia Father b England, mother b England
    Helen M wife house keeping b New Jersey father b NY mother b New Jersey
    Mary da 8 b California
    FRANCES dau 7 b California
    Sarah dau 4 b California ****** In her will Sarah Hart refers to Sarah and the other children but not Imogen. I have speculated that Sarah is the name for Imogen but will re-check data
    Benjamin son 1 b California

US Pssport Application
    May 18 1922
    Cook,Illinois-accompany 2 children James,Astrid
    Frances Hart Breasted aka Frances Hart b San Francisco 22 Dec 1872 Spouse James H Breasted Rockford,Illinois now residing Chicag,Illinois
    Object of visit Travel-countries to visit Italy,Egypt,Greece.Sailing from New York on La France June 28,1922
    Description-age 49,height 5 feet 8 and a half inches;forehead round, eyes brown,nose straight,mouth normal,coplex normal, face thin
    - husband's description

1910 Census (Copyright US Federal Archives)
    Newark Ward 8 Essex,New Jersey

Helen W Hart widow 64 own income b New Jersey father b New York, mother b New Jersey
    Imogen dau s 25 b California

Probate-George Hart died 13 June 1888 County of Port Townsend,Washington Resident County of Alameda California -all of his estate left to his wife sole executrix

1910 Census (Copyright US Federal Archives)
    Illinois,Cook, Chicago Ward 7
    James H Breasted H M 44 b Illinois Teacher University
    Frances H wife 37 Married 13 years 3 mths b California
    Charles son 12 b Illinois

1920 US Census ( Copyright US Federal Census)
    Illinois, Cook,Chicago Ward 6
    James Breasted H M 55 B illinois Instructor Ancient history University of Chicago
    Frances wife 47 b California
    Charles W son 22 s b Illinois
    James son 11 b Illinois
    Astrid dau 5 b Illinois

1930 US Federal Census (Copyright US Federal Census)
    James H Breasted H 64 Married b Illinois Professor University
    Frances H wife 58 b California
    James H Jr son 21 single b Illinois
    Astrid dau 15 b Illinois
    Charles H son 32 b Illinois Executive Secretary Scientific Institute
    Cloister Apartments Illinois Chicago

BIRTH
    Phyllis Breasted parents James Henry Breasted,Frances Hart b abt 1873 San Francisco California age 41*** further details needed to identify Phyllis dob and what happened to her

MARRIAGE
    CHARLES BREASTED
    5807 Dorchester Avenue Chicago Illinois age 33
    Executive Secretary Oriental Institute Chicago
    b Chicago Illinois
    father James Breasted, mother Frances Hart
    Bride
    Violet E Timms Westbury Hotel NYC age 24 b Middlesex England
    father George, mother Clody LOBB
    Riverside Church Chapel New York
    Witnesses James H Breasted 5648 Dorchester Avenue Chicago, ? Dunn 20 Washington Square,New York

Further data to follow.

Default CHARLES BREASTED 2 MARRIAGES- TIMMS-FERGUSON

In my earlier post I gave data on the 1st marriage of Charles Breasted. The following data confirms a 2nd marriage.

The first marriage to Violet Ethel Timms was recorded in several newspapers- "3000 mile journey Ends in Marriage The Washington Times February 17,1931
    .."Charles Breasted Chicago arcaelogist and Miss Violet E Timms, English girl were married yesterday.Charles Breasted 33 is executive secretary of the Oriental Institute of the University Chicago. The bride 24 was born in Harrow,England is the daughter of George W Timms her brother Walter is secretary to Lord d'Abernon,London.

This marriage was a short one. She appears alone in St.Moritz in 1934 -The Indianapolis Feb 27,1934 and in other articles. She re- married to Harry S Broom -Sept qtr 1936 Paddington 1a 144. There are 2 index records with the same reference number GRO Marriage Index. The name Timms has been added to Violet E Breasted.

Charles Breasted married Martha Munro Ferguson in Burro New Mexico 28 June 1933- there is a photograph of the wedding ceremony including her mother Mrs Isabella Greenway, James H Breasted, Mrs Breasted,Astrid and James Breasted- The Daily Alaska Empire July 13,1933.

Martha Munro Ferguson 1906-1994 daughter of Robert Harry Munro Ferguson 1868-1922 and Isabella Dinsmore Selmes 1886-1953. Isabella re married to John Campbell Greenway 1872-1926

The following data shows 1939 Census (Copyright TNA) RG 101/2164
    The Springs Springs Lane Butlers Cross Wycombe Buckinghamshire
    Harry Skeet Broom b 7 July 1875 Managing Director Broom Wade Engineering
    Violet Ethel Broom b 22 Dec 1906 Farming Lorry Driver
    +servants

Probate-Harry Skeet Broom death 12 Sept 1958 Springs Ellesborough Buckinghamshire.Died Stoke Manderville Buckinghamshire

Death Violet Ethel Broom age 80 b 22 Dec 1906 March qtr 1987 Wycombe Buckinghamshire 19 1518

Harry Skeet Broom had ben previously married to Emily Sophie Wright 1871-1930.

I am aware of the descendants of these lines who are still living so will not post data. In addition, these lines are not Jewish and my main research interest is the Hart Jewish line descending from Michael Hart and Francis Davis as previously posted in earlier threads.

This post provides concluding summary data on James Henry Breasted Jr 1908-1983 married Helen Culver Ewing 1909-2000 and his sister Astrid 1915-1985 who married Bernhard Hormann. Her obituary reads Astrid Hormann nee Astrid Breasted age 70 b Chicago Residence Honolulu 3 August 1985 -Children Sylvia,Pauline,Phyllis,Nicholas,David.
    I have not added further data because some of the lines are living.