Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to feel at home

Default Peerage and grave epitaphs reliable ?

I am having a small problem of verifying brother to brother relationships. I have found an epitaph for a person which gives his ancestor as a brother to somebody much more famous(Roger of Salisbury). Epitaph is published as being at Salisbury Cathedral on a grave of a past member of parliament and his ancestor, a brother to Roger of Salisbury(built the cathedral). Wouldn’t this be a valid reference to say this brother was actually a brother to Roger? Wouldn’t the cathedral make sure this was true?

I have also looked up this relationship of brother to Roger of Salisbury in Debretts peerage, which verifies that he was a brother to Roger. Wouldn’t this be an authentic relationship? Thank you,
    Denis (Poore)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Denis - your first paragraph is convoluted and extremely vague with only Roger being named and no references quoted so I'm passing on that.

The Internet Archive has a 1893 copy of 'Debrett's peerage, baronetage, knightage, and companionage' online. When I searched for Roger of Salisbury, page 448 said "The ancestor of this family, Roger le Poer, Bishop of Salisbury, commonly called "Roger the Great," was Lord Chancellor temp. Henry I., and Lord Treasurer temp. Stephen ; he built Devizes Castle 1126. Salisbury Cathedral was built by Richard Poore, 1st Bishop of New Sarum, in 1220, who in 1217 had succeeded his brother, Herbert, the last Bishop of Old Sarum."
    https://archive.org/details/1893debr...e/2up?q=roger+
    'This family' is that of Sir Edward Poore, third baronet but you've already found him.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Sorry Pam, I was overtaken with total confusion.And I’m not much better today.

The reference to the Epitaph of Edward Poore and Rachel Poore at Salisbury is the only reference (date 1825)I have found that connects a Philip Poore as a brother to Bp Richard Poore. Anything else I see on about Philip is obviously derived from this epitaph through the baronets Poore. Philip is given the title of First Lord of Amesbury and there is no reference to that anyplace else either, that I have found. Page 84 epitaph https://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Ite...D%20(1825).pdf

There are loads of stuff about Bp Richard and another brother named Bp Herbert, as being sons to a Bp Richard of Ilchester and a few nephews. I get that, it’s history,King Henry to King Stephen and the church.
    7OO YRS Earlier however. I don’t know if I can trust the epitaph by itself as the history.

Thank you for some input.
    that might make it 50% more understandable, I still feel like I’m chasing a neanderthal. I think I better take a break.

Starting to feel at home

In the Nave of this Church are deposited the remains of Edward Poore and Rachel his Wife : He died May 19, 1780, aged 76. She died June 16, 1771, aged 63. They had two sons, on whose death without issue, the male representation of this ancient family devolved on the Poores of Rushall, (descended from his grandfather Edward Poore, of Figheldeane,) and four daughters, the survivors of whom, Eleanor and Charlotte, caused this memorial of respect and veneration to their lamented parents to be erected A D. 1817. [Edward, 3rd Baronet died on the way to Australia where those on board thought he was a miner after squandering his inheritance]. Left, canopied table tomb in south transept courtesy of Church Monuments Gazetteer.

Edward Poore, Barrister at Law, one of the King's Justices of the Great
    Sessions of Wales, and some time Representative in Parliament for this City, and the Borough of Downton, derived his descent in a direct line from Philip Poore, of Amesbury, brother of Richard, Bishop of this Diocese, and founder A D 1220, of this Cathedral. [MP for Salisbury and then Downton].