Loves to help with queries

Default US Social Security Application

Help needed please from the UK.
    Florence May Proyer was born in London in 1926 her parents were William Proyer and Margaret Cheadle.
    It is possible that Florence married John A Krytusain the District of Columbia in October 1946.
    I believe that Florence was using the name Florence Joan or Joan Florence.I believe that an application was made by a Joan Krytusa at the US Social Security Applications and Claims and that this application would possibly give the names of her parents.
    I am unable to see this record and wondered if anyone stateside would be able to see the record and confirm the names of Florence's parents for me.
    Any help would be much appricated Thank you.

Super Moderator

Florence's birth registration gives a mother maiden name as Cheadle. William HG Proyer married Margaret E Cheadle in 1924. Does this help?

Super Moderator

Default William HG Proyer

I don't know if it is the same William but there are two more marriage entries for a William H G Proyer: 1951 Hammersmith to Margaret M Morgan and 1969 also Hammersmith to Evelyn C Young

Florence May age 23 is on the 1950 US census in Arlington Virginia with her husband John A Krytusa age 28 born Pennsylvania. There is one daughter G age 3 born district of Columbia.

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    Joan Krytusa
    Birth Date 5 Feb 1926
    Birth Place Fulham LondonUnited Kingdom
    Death Date 14 Dec 2005
    Father William H Proyer
    Mother Margaret Cheadle
    SSN 578388053
    Notes Feb 1946: Name listed as JOAN KRYTUSA; Jun 1946: Name listed as FLORENCE MAY KRYTUSA; Dec 1968: Name listed as JOAN FLORENCE KRYTUSA; 08 Nov 1989: Name listed as JEAN F KRYTUSA; 29 Dec 2005: Name listed as JOAN F KRYTUSA

This record confirm the marriage that Sue found.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Florence May age 23 is on the 1950 US census in Arlington Virginia with her husband John A Krytusa age 28 born Pennsylvania. There is one daughter G age 3 born district of Columbia.

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    Joan Krytusa
    Birth Date 5 Feb 1926
    Birth Place Fulham LondonUnited Kingdom
    Death Date 14 Dec 2005

Christina
    The death date in this record on FamilySearch
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK59-Q198
    matches the one Christina found, the birth date doesn't. But . . . . in the US, they write numeric dates as month, day, year not as the UK (and possibly most of the rest of the world) does as day, month, year.
    So in the UK 2-5-1926 would mean 2 May 1926. In the US, it would mean 5 February 1926.

In the office, Joan is asked for her date of birth and says 2-5-1926, rather than 2 May; clerk writes down 2-5-1926, which then gets transcribed as 5 Feb. If you follow what I'm trying to say.

Her gravestone (see Findagrave, buried Fairfax Station, Virginia) also says 2 May 1928

If you google 'Washington Post obituaries' and then do a search for the name, there's a short obituary, which will give the names of Joan and John's children.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 18-12-2022 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Added link to FamilySearch
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

Thank you all so much for your help.
    That's just what I was looking for.
    Very much appricated.