Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Don't try this at home!

In recent years there's been a lot made of getting fit, but even back in the 1960s there were many efforts made to get/keep us fit. (A near-neighbour ran a weekly ladies keep-fit class.)

Anyone who has access to the British Newspaper Archive either through its own site or FMP can give themselves a treat by looking at some exercises shown in the Aberdeen Evening Express dated 29 July 1961. Search for Doug Sheldon, and then scroll to the bottom left corner of the page.
    There's advice similar to that given today - do a particular exercise so many times - but the one I don't fancy attempting involves balancing on the bath.
    You put one hand on each side of the bath, and balance your feet on the end where the taps usually are, so in effect you're facing into the bath. Then you balance first on one leg, while raising the other in the air, and then change.
    It doesn't say so, but I would advise you to make sure there's no water in bath, so that should you fall you won't drown. On the other hand, the water might cushion your fall should you slip.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Now, there’s a good excuse!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Reminded me of that corny joke about the woman who used to do ballet and tap dancing. She gave up tap dancing because she kept falling off.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Reminded me of that corny joke about the woman who used to do ballet and tap dancing. She gave up tap dancing because she kept falling off.
    Actually she gave up tap dancing because she kept falling in the sink.

One of the very few jokes I can remember, along with:

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Nicholas.

Nicholas who?

Nicholas girls shouldn't climb trees.

And in a similar vein:

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Monica.

Monica who?

Monica's are falling down.