Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default South Staffordshire Regiment

I'm currently researching 3 of my great uncles who died in action in World War 1 after serving in 3 different battalions of the South Staffs.

Me and my brothers have a trip planned in spring to visit two of the graves in France and also do some WW1 remembrance activities, along with a trip to the Menin Gate.

We are also planning a trip to the South Staffs Museum in Lichfield in the new year.

I'm wondering if anyone by chance has any regiment photo or photos during the periods my great uncles would have served in the units.

The details are:

Septimus (Matthew) Walker - 7th Battalion (Died in Action in Gallipoli, Turkey - August 1915)

Robert Walker - 1st Battalion (Died in Action in Ficheux, France - March 1917)

William Roberts - 5th Battalion (Died in Action in Foncquevillers, France July 1916

Many thanks

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Here's some odd bits of info in case you don't have them.
    Septimus was 15413 Private Walker. He died on 22 Aug 1915 and is on panel 135-137 of the Helles Memorial. His parents are not mentioned in the CWGC database.
    Robert was recorded as R. Walker, number 15415, died 28 Mar 1917 age 22.
    William was 200529 Private Roberts, died 1 Jul 1916 aged 28. His parents are given as William and Eliza Roberts of Wednesbury, Staffs.

All of that from the CWGC site.

Re photographs, have you approached the South Staffs Regimental Museum HERE? There are a few photos on their site.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for your response which is appreciated. I have managed to track down a folder full of information on Robert and William (including war-battle diaries) and have a trip planned in spring to visit there graves. I am only just starting on Septimus and have the info from CWGC and his medal history from national archives. I will approach the museum and intend visiting next month.

Once again thank you for your time to respond.

A very warm welcome to Britgen. Not a photo but adds to your picture of Septimus?

Staffordshire Advertiser, 16 Oct 1915
    "THE STAFFORDSHIRE ROLL OF HONOUR
    From the Dardanelles, ... Pte Septimus Walker, of the 7th (Service) Battalion, is officially reported to have been killed in action in the Dardanelles on Aug 8. Walker, who leaves a widow and one child, lived at Pitt's-square, Leabrook, Wednesbury, and prior to enlisting in August of last year was employed in the Monway Works. ..."

Checking for Monway Works I spotted " ... the Monway Works of the Wednesbury Patent Shaft and Axletree Company ..."

Good luck with the search.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Googling the Company's name returned a number of hits, one of which led to -

The Sandwell Archives holds information on the works including -

BS-PS/6: Employment records (1868-1976)
    BS-P S/10: Photographs taken by and of the Company (1864-1975)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all for providing some additional information for me.

Really appreciated- thank you

Croeso/you're welcome

Let us know how you get on!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

What a journey I have been on over the past year. In March I went to the Somme to visit the graves of my grandmothers brother (William roberts) and robert walker (my granddads brother). I took their medals with me as it was only right that they got to be reunited in spirit with the owners. I have now commissioned two presentation cases to be made, one for William roberts and one for the walker brothers.

It turns out my grandfather had 4 brothers who fought in WW1 with two being killed in action, and one brother (his youngest brother) serving in WW2.

Could anyone assist with this for me as i am trying to locate a date of death / regiment of the youngest brother. He did not die in the war and think it would be in the last 20/30 years. this will enable me to get the second presentation cases for the five walker brothers. I have full details on four of the brother but the younger brother is proving the hard one.

The person I am trying to find a date of death or regiment number for is : FREDERICK WALKER - born 03/06/1913 in wednesbury (West Bromwich), mother Ann walker (nee evans), farther James walker. Frederick played professional football with Sheffield Wednesday from 1937 until the outbreak of war. We believe he was injured in Ceylon. If anyone could assist in this link it will enable me to complete a nice presentation case remembering all the brothers noting all the regiments.

Brick wall demolition expert!

As I am sure your appreciate Frederick Walker is a very common name, so if you search the death index for deaths within a 40 year range of 1990 for someone with that name you get a lot of possible results.

However, I did see one that is a possibility:
    Register Number B28C - Entry Number 052 - Date of registration: May 1999 - Registration District: Bristol - his date of birth is given as 3/6/1913

Another possibility would be:
    Volume 32 - Page 0466 - Date of registration Jan quarter 1978 - Registration District: Birmingham - his date of birth is given as 3/7/1913. Although the month is wrong, that could be error depending upon who registered his death. The probate entry for this person gives his date of death as 27 March 1978 and he was living at 97 Neville Road, Shirley, Solihull. Unfortunately he died without a will.

Unfortunately death certificates do not give you definitive family information, although it might say "registered by x the son" etc. To take this further you might have to invest in the death certificates and see if they give you any clues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast