Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Missing bridegroom-to-be in 1871

For a friend, I am tracing the parents of Euphemia McFarlane born Liverpool 1 Nov 1881 (the 1939 register has 1884 but she was registered in Liverpool 1Q 1882, mmn O’Connor.)

This looks like the parents’ marriage (image on Ancestry)(given names as on later censuses)
    Parish Church of Liverpool (St Peter’s C of E)
    25th April 1871 according to the rites of the established church by banns.
    James McFarlane, full age, bach, labourer of Parliament Street, son of James McFarlane, farmer.
    Margaret O’Connor, full age, spinster of Parliament Street, d of Daniel O’Connor, farmer.
    He made mark, she signed. Wits Andrew McFarlane and Jane McFarlane

Now 25th April 1871 was a Tuesday, so the banns were probably called on Sundays 9, 16 and 23 April. The 1871 census was taken a week earlier, 2nd April 1871, so both parties to the marriage should be found in Liverpool as single persons with their families. I think I have found the bride-to-be, but where is the groom?

The bride-to-be looks like the 19-year-old Margaret O’Connor with her widowed mother at Denbigh Street, Liverpool (RG10/3764 f113 p46) with lots of interesting friends or relatives in the same house and with the Irish counties of birth named. I like that!

But where is the groom-to-be James McFarlane? Later censuses suggest he was born 1848 Ireland. He should be in Parliament Street Liverpool, probably close to the witmesses Andrew and Jane McFarlane (his siblings?), but Ancestry isn’t coughing him up. Do any other sites find him?

Just as a place from which to start, is this the family in 1891?
    RG12 Piece 2904 folio 104
    3 Maddrell Street St martin Liverpool
    James McFarlane 43 dock labourer born E. Indies, Sri Lanka
    Margart McFarlane 40 Wife Ireland
    James McFarlane 17 son Liverpool
    Margaret Jane McFarlane 16 dau Liverpool
    Elisabeth McFarlane 12 Liverpool
    Auphamia McFarlane 9 Liverpool
    Daniel McFarlane 6 Liverpool
    Thomas McFarlane 4 Liverpool
    Mary Ann Butter 11 Niece Liverpool
    Thomas Doyle 44 lodger Ireland
    Robert L Barrone? 26 Lodger Ince Lancashire

I see in 1881 they are also at 5 Maddrell Street with James born Ireland and age 33

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Yes, that's the family I'm looking at. Thanks.
    I'm not sure I believe the birthplace of "Sri Lanka" (Ceylon on the image I think.) As you say, it's Ireland in 1881. I couldn't see an obvious reason for such an error though, if error it is. At marriage he said his father was a farmer, so not obviously a military family. And there's no Indian-type ethnicity reported in my friend's DNA.
    Barbara

Hi
    Not sure if this helps
    11 June1863 St Paul’s Liverpool
    James McFurlin bachelor of Liverpool
    To
    Euphemia Copland spinster
    Grooms father John McFurlin
    Brides father Nathaniel Copland sea captain

Ed

That's an interesting coincidence of names, Ed, but I don't think they are the parties I am looking for.
    B

Famous for offering help & advice

The best I can find is boarding at Brazenose Road, Kirkdale in 1871, which is only a mile or so from Denbigh Street, but apart from the name and an acceptable difference in age, the rest doesn't fit! RG10/3828/124/11

James McFarlane 25 Engine Fitter b Scotland

Possible in 1861 at 16 Johnson Street, Liverpool - again only a mile or so from Denbigh Street but in the opposite direction. RG9/2667/28/50

James McFarlane 15 Boarder, Labourer, b Ireland

Thanks Jomot1
    I will check those out.
    Barbara

Birth Record
    I noticed it said birth Sri Lanka but there is is this record, I am assuming you would have
    To buy the certificate

James McFarlane
    Birth 1846
    Sri Lanka
    Trincomalee

GRO- Regimental Indic
    Armed Forces
    Royal ArtilleryYear
    Year 1846
    Page 104
    Volume R.A.18
    Line number 101
    General Records Office

Ed

Now that is pretty interesting. The birthplace of Ceylon/ Sri Lanka on the 1891 census is so specific, I wondered if it was really true. But James didn't say it before. And now here is a well-matching Army birth. I will have to speak to his descendant about it. So let's assume that James McFarlane's father (James senior according to James junior's marriage) was in the RA, took his wife with him to India, then after he was discharged (in his forties?) went back to Ireland and was a farmer. Possible ...

Do you think James senior could have married in Ireland before going to India, there is a marriage in Ireland James McFarlane to Elizabeth Lidle in 1829, I noticed James junior has a daughter Elizabeth or do you have his parent’s already

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast