Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Goad's insurance maps: Tenement or Dwelling?


    I'm looking at a variety of insurance maps and I was wondering what the difference between a Tenement and a Dwelling would be.

    Tenement I get, multiple separate dwellings sharing a single front door

    But then I am looking at Howland Street, Fitzrovia where there are 4 storey dwellings
    For the 1861 Census there seem to be 28 people from 9 families living at 18 Howland Street
    Surely this would qualify as a tenement?

    Would there be some kind of change in occupancy type or rebuilding done between 1867 and the insurance map twenty or more years later?

    Or was there a second Howland Street? These seems unlikely as this one joins with Tottenham Court Road which is the census record sub-district.



    Census record:
    Name George Burnard
    Age 42
    Civil parish St Pancras
    Ecclesiastical parish St John
    Registration district Pancras
    Sub-registration district Tottenham Court
    Household schedule number 400
    Piece 101
    Folio 139
    Page number 54

  2. #2


    Can only spot 1 Howland St, London

    In 1861 the Census shows 54 house numbers containing 204 households.
    The breakdown of No. 18 in 1861 - 8 households and the number of persons in each households is 7, 1, 5, 1, 3, 3, 4, 3 (tot 27)

    In 1891 the Census shows 60 house numbers containing 252 households.
    The breakdown of No. 18 in 1891 - 6 households and the number of persons in each household is 2, 1, 2, 5, 2, 3 (tot 15)

    The nature of the street would not appear to have changed in that period - still packing 'em in.

    Have had a look at the Goad map for Howland St but yet to find out how to interpret it!

    The 1861/1891 comparison is not exact since there's the odd unnumbered house in the street.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  3. #3


    The key for the maps is here.

    I love these maps so much detail!

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by fumblina View Post
    I love these maps so much detail!
    Thanks for the link and agree - the detail is fantastic. Plenty of "Ds" but no sign of "Ts". Have you been able to find a "T" to link back to a Census?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  5. #5


    I wonder if the distinction related to "Inhabited House Duty"?
    Hansard -

    It talks about "industrial blocks" and exemption depending on every tenement within the block paying less than 20p.a. I have read elsewhere these "blocks" had to be six or more stories high. Was "T" introduced to identify these blocks? It's a toughie.

    London Evening Standard, 6 Apr 1889 "The Chancellor of the Exchequer, in reply, said it was true that certain property was relieved; but this relief had been given, not because the owners were entitled to it, but in order to encourage a particular kind of structural development, which for certain reasons was declared to be important".

    Not sure of date of the date of the Order in Council.

    NOTE - the URL/link is correct but is not delivering the required page. Are you familiar with Hansard?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  6. #6


    I picked up the Hansard item via a google search- "inhabited house duty" - debate in the House 12 Apr 1889 and copied the URL.
    But when I search Hansard itself it returns hundreds of hits under that search key EXCEPT the 12 Apr 1889 item - somewhat odd.
    Suggest you google search looking for the 12 Apr 1889 item.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  7. #7
    Valued member of Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Western Australia


    I think tenement and dwelling are pretty much the same thing and the name is dependent on where in the country the building is. At the time of the census' they were both multiple living buildings for poorer families. I was born in Hulme, Manchester in the early 1950's and these type of buildings weren't called tenements, they were referred to as dwellings. We weren't allowed to go anywhere near 'them dwellings'.

  8. #8


    I have always known "tenements" to be what we call "blocks of flats", but of the sort for working folk, not the well-off. They could be a single room or several. They still exist in Edinburgh and Dundee, but are quite fashionable now. My Uncle always referred to the newer versions as "multis". "Dwelling" is anywhere that people might be living, although again probably not the richer sort. I've even seen a couple tents where tinkers were living for their annual visit described as a "dwelling" on a birth certificate! In January, poor woman..

  9. #9


    I noted the "interpretation" of Goad maps you referred me to stated "Scotland". In the absence of a specifically "England" interpretation, assumed it applied across the board, although I associate tenements more with Scotland England.
    I noted some buildings marked "FLATS" on the 1887 map as an alternative to "D or T". Again, why distinguish?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

  10. #10


    Sorry for the late response and thanks for the replies. I have seen tenements when looking for Turner's Buildings which ran between Christian Street and Grove Street in St George in the East - roughly where Rope Walk Gardens is now I think.

    Map block 3404 sheet no 336B shows buildings marked D & S, and Turner's Buildings are marked TENS (tenements from the Key) - they are 2-3 floor buildings so not blocks of flats. I note that some of the D and S buildings have a small T in the corner to show a tile roof

    It is scary looking at the map to think how quickly a fire would spread through those buildings with only the heavy lines indicating a solid fire proof wall.

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Select a file: