Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Where are they in 1911

I have been tracking William & Harriet Marshall through their lives. William was born about 1853 in Sheffield, Yorkshire and grew up to be a file grinder as consistently given in census records to 1901. Harriet was born about the same time in Sheffield and was Harriet Nicholson. I have tracked Harriet and her profession (when working and given in census) was as a tailoress - her father being a tailor. William and Harriet married in 1874 and seem to have lived most of their lives in Sheffield with children born there: George William Marshall in 1876, Blanche in 1877, Herbert in 1878, Emily in 1882, Edith in 1883, Amy in 1888 and Frederick in 1889.

I haven't yet identified deaths for William & Harriet although online family trees suggest it may have been 1935 and 1939 respectively.

I can't find them in the 1911 census. There are plenty of records for William Marshall but the wife/family/occupation are not correct - and it is quite a common name ................

Any help finding them in 1911 and/or deaths would be appreciated! Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I haven't yet identified deaths for William & Harriet although online family trees suggest it may have been 1935 and 1939 respectively.
    And we all know how reliable family trees can be.

Have you considered that William and Harriet may have died between 1901 and 1911?

In the 1911 census, son Herbert is married (coincidentally to a Harriet) and living with them is brother Frederick and sister Amy. Census reference RG14 PN27965 SN246

Sheffieldindexers.com have a Edith Marshall, aged 25, marrying Alfred Morris Howson in 1909. Bride's father's name is William Marshall, deceased, occupation grinder.

FreeBMD have two death registrations for William Marshall aged 56 in 1908. One in Sheffield and the other in Ecclesall Bierlow registration districts. Another one, again aged 56, Sheffield registration district 1910.

Also Harriet Marshall, aged 55, December quarter 1908, Sheffield registration district.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Yes, I was taking the online tree information with a pinch of salt! One even had William's death in 1917 fighting in France which would have been something given his birth in 1853.

I do have the son Herbert census record - thank you and I suppose his younger brother and sister living with him may suggest their parents had died. I will have a look at the death records you mention and Ecclesall Bierlow registration district is a good possibility as they (William & Harriet) have births of their children registered there.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of deaths before 1911 which I hadn't really thought about and the marriage record for Edith is useful. I'll take a look at Sheffieldindexers.com and see if there is anything else useful there.

An Update: Looking on the sheffieldindexers.com website I have positively identified the deaths of William and Harriet Marshall.

The website burial records confirm "William (File Grinder, age 56. Died at 4 Harleston St; Buried on April 2, 1908 in General Portion ground" and "Marshall, Harriett (Widow, age 55). Died at 63 Welldrake Rd; Buried on October 3, 1908 in General Portion ground".

So, thank you very much for your help. This information completes another story of another couple ......... on to the next!

Have a good weekend.