Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Help with an address please

I am researching a family in Sheffield. In 1861 the census gives their address as Back 7 Union Lane in Sheffield. Head of the household is George Nicholson with an occupation of tailor.

Can anyone confirm that 'Back 7' would have been a back to back house in Union Lane - or, any other information please.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AudreyF; 22-11-2022 at 5:28 PM. Reason: Mistake of name

Famous for offering help & advice

It's hard to be certain, but often in town centres there were yards (also called courts) behind the main rows of houses. Access would typically be through an archway, and then there would be a number of small dwellings arranged around it. Many of them would by nature have been back to back with the buildings at the front, or with adjacent yards.

I see from the census return that there were a lot of separate households at "Back 7", so it may be that the entrance was next to 7 Union Lane, and the court was behind it. The description of the district mentions various streets, and ends with "all the Yards and Courts and Houses within the above-named Boundary".

You can get an idea of the kind of area it was from the old photos at Picture Sheffield, a non-profit making service provided by Sheffield Local Studies and Archives. I searched with "Union Lane" (including quotes) to give a fairly manageable number. The site is at https://www.picturesheffield.com/

Knowledgeable and helpful

Your description is very helpful - thank you. I've looked at the link you sent and the site suggests that some of the buildings in Union Road were part of the workhouse and I did wonder about that possibility when I saw the word 'Union'.

I have another address of 'CT 3 3 Thomas Street' in Sheffield and your description of courts and yards may explain that address also so I am very grateful for the help.

Famous for offering help & advice