Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

James Henry Paddock, birth registered September quarter 1911, Walsall registration district. Mother's maiden name Saunders.

Marriage registration James Paddock and Mary Jane Saunders, March quarter 1908, Walsall registration district.

Other birth registrations where mother's maiden name is Paddock. Registration district always Walsall.
    Nellie - June 1908
    Clara Elizabeth - December 1909. Death registration
    Clara Elizabeth - March 1913
    Alfred Herbert - December 1914
    John Thomas - June quarter 1916

1911 census - as you have a sub to FMP you can check out further details.
    Living in Walsall.
    Census reference RG14/17182 SN181
    James Henry Paddock, 28, brass caster
    Mary Jane, wife, 25
    Nellie, 3
    Clara Elizabeth, 1
    All born Walsall.

By typing in each person's name and year of birth in 1921 I found James H 1883, Nellie 1908, James H 1911, Clara E 1813, and John T 1916. All living in the parish of Walsall. Unless you have the top-of-the-range sub which includes the 1921 census you'll have to pay to get more information. T&Cs allow only information found in the free index to the 1921 census to be given.

No Mary or Alfred found in 1921, which led me to death registrations:
    Alfred Herbert, March quarter 1916, aged 1.
    Mary Jane, June quarter 1919, aged 33.
    Both Walsall registration district.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

1939 Register
    Father James, birth year 1884, is living with Nellie and John T in Walsall.

Clara E married Egbert F Padmore, June quarter 1935, Walsall registration district.
    1939 Register has a Clara F Padmore, born 1913, in a Padmore household. I think hubby Egbert is elsewhere - possibly already in the military.
    The Egbert born 1887 is probably Egbert-married-to-Clara's father.

Several possible marriages for John Thomas, though I think the 1970s ones may be for a son of John. I haven't checked for any children of any of the marriages.
    June quarter 1940 to Winifred Broad. Allegedly Birmingham registration district but because it's in italics either the district is wrong or the volume/page number is wrong.
    December quarter 1944 to Emily Morley, Walsall registration district.

There's also marriages for John T Paddock in 1970 and 1980 in Walsall registration district. Might be your John marrying for a first time in his life, remarrying as a widower, a son of your John, uncle, nephew, or no relation at all.

Death registration James Henry Paddock, aged 69, September quarter 1952, Walsall registration district.

Most likely for Nellie - registered as Ellen Paddock, born 1908, died March quarter 1955, Walsall registration district.

John Thomas - date of birth 8 April 1916 (haven't checked if that ties in with the 1939 Register entry) death registration June quarter 1985, Walsall registration district.

That little lot should give your newspaper sub a weekend workout.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 20-11-2022 at 3:31 PM. Reason: Removal of names of possible living people although the details are in the public domain.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    James Henry Paddock, birth registered September quarter 1911, Walsall registration district. Mother's maiden name Saunders.

Marriage registration James Paddock and Mary Jane Saunders, March quarter 1908, Walsall registration district.

Other birth registrations where mother's maiden name is Paddock. Registration district always Walsall.
    Nellie - June 1908
    Clara Elizabeth - December 1909. Death registration
    Clara Elizabeth - March 1913
    Alfred Herbert - December 1914
    John Thomas - June quarter 1916

1911 census - as you have a sub to FMP you can check out further details.
    Living in Walsall.
    Census reference RG14/17182 SN181
    James Henry Paddock, 28, brass caster
    Mary Jane, wife, 25
    Nellie, 3
    Clara Elizabeth, 1
    All born Walsall.

By typing in each person's name and year of birth in 1921 I found James H 1883, Nellie 1908, James H 1911, Clara E 1813, and John T 1916. All living in the parish of Walsall. Unless you have the top-of-the-range sub which includes the 1921 census you'll have to pay to get more information. T&Cs allow only information found in the free index to the 1921 census to be given.

No Mary or Alfred found in 1921, which led me to death registrations:
    Alfred Herbert, March quarter 1916, aged 1.
    Mary Jane, June quarter 1919, aged 33.
    Both Walsall registration district.
    Many thanks for that, Pam.

I had found his birth record, but all of the rest is new to me.

Steve.

Starting to feel at home

1939 Register
    Father James, birth year 1884, is living with Nellie and John T in Walsall.

Clara E married Egbert F Padmore, June quarter 1935, Walsall registration district.
    1939 Register has a Clara F Padmore, born 1913, in a Padmore household. I think hubby Egbert is elsewhere - possibly already in the military.
    The Egbert born 1887 is probably Egbert-married-to-Clara's father.

Several possible marriages for John Thomas, though I think the 1970s ones may be for a son of John. I haven't checked for any children of any of the marriages.
    June quarter 1940 to Winifred Broad. Allegedly Birmingham registration district but because it's in italics either the district is wrong or the volume/page number is wrong.
    December quarter 1944 to Emily Morley, Walsall registration district.

There's also marriages for John T Paddock in 1970 and 1980 in Walsall registration district. Might be your John marrying for a first time in his life, remarrying as a widower, a son of your John, uncle, nephew, or no relation at all.

Death registration James Henry Paddock, aged 69, September quarter 1952, Walsall registration district.

Most likely for Nellie - registered as Ellen Paddock, born 1908, died March quarter 1955, Walsall registration district.

John Thomas - date of birth 8 April 1916 (haven't checked if that ties in with the 1939 Register entry) death registration June quarter 1985, Walsall registration district.

That little lot should give your newspaper sub a weekend workout.
    Pam, I can't thank you enough for all of the above information. I have spent the last couple of days in hospital, and have to take things easy for two weeks, so yes, that little lot will keep me occupied.

Steve.

Sorry to hear you've been poorly. Hope you're soon better.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry to hear you've been poorly. Hope you're soon better.
    Thank you, Pam.

Steve.

Starting to feel at home

Default 1939 Register query

I have found a marriage between John Thomas Paddock, and Emily Morley, in 1944, Quarter 4, Walsall, Staffordshire.Vol. 6B, page 1459.

Then I found an entry for Emily in the 1939 Register, that confused matters - for me, at least.

Supposedly five years before the marriage, there are both Morley, and Paddock as her surname.

Has anyone come across this kind of thing before? Maybe living together, and known as JT's wife? But JT not on the register at that address.

Steve.

Tut, tut.
    Need to go to Specsavers. Getting your Johns and James confused.

Emily was Morley in 1939.
    My guess is that either James Morley (her presumed husband as he's too young to be her father) died or else she and James separated, before she married John and became a Paddock. Hence the crossed out Morley, and Paddock being written above.

There's a death registration for a James E Morley, aged 47 (so a couple of years out to birth year in 1939) December quarter 1942 Walsall registration district.
    I haven't checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, nor have I checked for later deaths for a James E Morley in case he and Emily just separated.

Marriage registration James E Morley and Emily Russell September quarter 1939 Walsall registration district.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12