Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Michigan death records

Can anyone have a quick peek at a couple of Michigan death records for me?

I’m interested in a lady called Mrs Bridget Ronan who died in Ireland in 1850. The Michigan death records may belong to her children. Bridget’s gravestone in Kilmallock Cemetery, County Wexford, just gives her married name of Ronan and says she died on June 8th 1850 aged 58 years. All the public member trees on Anc** that feature her say her maiden name was Donohoe or similar. I do want her to be a Donohoe, but I can’t see why all her descendants are so sure of her maiden name. Some trees cite Michigan death records, which I am not able to see (I only have a UK sub), and I imagine they are of emigrant children’s deaths, stating their mother’s maiden name. Can someone look at them for me?

Here’s how to find them. Search public member trees for her husband Matthew Ronan, 1787-1848, Wexford, Ireland. You will get a first block of 49 trees. Expand that. On the Malcolm Family tree (fourth one on the list) switch from Matthew Ronan to his wife Bridget and you will see two Michigan death records attached as evidence of Bridget’s birth (and presumably of her maiden name). What do they say?

The only evidence of Donohoe that I can see is a pamphlet from Newaygo County in Michigan, seemingly a compilation of oral history accounts of the early founders of the area. It says a Catherine Ronan was the daughter of Matthew and Bridget (O’Donahue) Ronan. You will see that booklet in the Gallery of the Farrell Ronan tree (7th one down), called Neville Ronan history. I have no reason to doubt it, but that seems to be the only evidence. I’d like a little more, if possible!

The death registrations are for Patrick Ronan and Anastasia Bolger where Bridget Donahue (Donahugh) is recorded as their mother.
    Patrick died Grand Rapids, born 26 July 1908 Ireland. Anastasia died May 12 1903 also Grand Rapids. She was born 8 Sept 1822 Ireland. Father of both Matthew Ronan.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Barbara, I have sent you a pm. Let me know if you receive it ok?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Yes, both messages received, images fine.
    Thanks so much, Christina. No doubt then that the Ronan's mother was a Donahoe (spelled variously).
    This started as a new small DNA match to my cousin, not to me, and this must definitely be the line the match came down. Bridget wasn't our Donohoe g g grandfather's sister, I'm pretty sure of that, so I guess she must have been his cousin. Amazing to make a connection so far back.
    Cheers, Barbara

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't know anything about Michigan research myself, but coincidentally Dick Eastman's Genealogy Newsletter had an article yesterday about Michiganology, a new free site from Michigan Archives.

The site is at
    https://
    michiganology.org/

Dick Eastman's article is at
    https://www.
    eogn.com/page-18080/12988800

Thanks Arthur, useful site.