Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMD searches

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I can't find the couple in a census search for England.
    Two things that you may have checked - a marriage in Ireland and the spelling Houlahan which comes up often...
    I spend most of my time in research in Scotland, and I have noticed that accents often affect the recording of names. People often said their name to whoever was making the record, and he wrote what he thought he heard. Irish accents and an English clerk could have caused complications.
    Yes, there are many variations in the Holahan name. In the U.S. census records I have found it spelled Holahan, Hulahan, and Hallihan. I have also done searches using the phonetic spelling option.

Famous for offering help & advice

Different name but there is a possible marriage in Manchester 1857 where a James Horan and an Ellen Howard appear on the same page in the Free BMD website. Lancs OPC have baptisms of Catherine Horan 1859 and Ann Horan 1864 at St Patrick's Collyhurst Manchester. Parents James Horan and Ellen Howard.
    Do Catherine and Ann appear in your family?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Different name but there is a possible marriage in Manchester 1857 where a James Horan and an Ellen Howard appear on the same page in the Free BMD website. Lancs OPC have baptisms of Catherine Horan 1859 and Ann Horan 1864 at St Patrick's Collyhurst Manchester. Parents James Horan and Ellen Howard.
    Do Catherine and Ann appear in your family?
    I now see that jomot1 had already found this information on a previous thread. Did you ever send for that marriage certificate?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I now see that jomot1 had already found this information on a previous thread. Did you ever send for that marriage certificate?
    This is the previous thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...han-Brick-Wall

Quote Originally Posted by pholahan View Post
    Thank you for that suggestion. I have no idea what Parish in which they would have been married, or even if they were married in England. Both my 2 Grandparents were born in Ireland. I haven't found any record of their marriage in Ireland and family lore says my GGrandfather was born in Manchester, so I am searching in Lancashire in the hopes of finding a matching record.
    Have you looked on a map to see how near, or far away, their birthplaces were? Although people travelled further from home than we tend to think if the places were some way from each then there's a likelihood that Ellen and James met when they came to England.

How long ago did you look for a marriage for them in Ireland? New records are being placed online almost every day so you could look on Monday and find nothing and literally the next day - bingo! I know some online Irish records were updated recently but I can't remember which ones.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12