Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Looking for family Locker Mile End Old Town

Hello, good afternoon to all who always hel;p

Now I am looking for this family member, born in London 1902, found her only few times;

Name: Yetta Locker
    Born Mile End Old Town Western London september 4, 1902
    Daughter to Philip Locker, journeyman and bootmaker. No idea what a journeyman is
    and Rebecca Sampson
    Killed at Auschwitz october 8, 1942
    Maried 1924 Amsterdam to Jacob Rimini(1900-1933)and supposedly to a S.Bromet

So questions are; when did she get to Amsterdam and how since in the indexes Amsterdam she is not mentioned, from where? Did she come on her own or with parents. Where did they live in MEOT, are they in a census? Have checked familysearch to no avail.
    So anyone who could help, much appreciated

Best regards, Paul

Super Moderator

How do you know about Phillip and Rebecca? Do you have proof that they were Yetta's parents? The only Phillip I could find on any census was living in Mile End, age 22, born Holland(a German Subject) working as a Railway Porter. He was a Son In Law (although says single!) to, who looks like, an Adelaide Samson also born Holland. There is also a Rebecca, the daughter of Adelaide, born Holland. Phillip and Rebecca's marriage registration is September quarter 1901 in Mile End. I have now found the marriage entry for Yetta (or Jetta) in the Netherlands Marriage Index.

Super Moderator

There is another child on the Netherlands Marriage: Dina Locher, age 24 (parents Phillip Locher and Rebecca Samson)married Jakob Pop.

Also Phillip Locher born 30 August 1878, Amsterdam. Died 19 August 1942 on Osweicim, Powiat osweicimiski, Malopolskie, Poland. children Dina Pop and Jetta Bromet. Buried in the Auschwitz Concentration Camp There is also a photograph of Phillip on the "Find a Grave" site.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Beek1956 View Post

Daughter to Philip Locker, journeyman and bootmaker. No idea what a journeyman is
    A journeyman is a trained worker who is employed by someone else e.g. Journeyman bootmaker.

Famous for offering help & advice

GRO has her registered as Fetta Locher. Birth cert is Occasional copy B

Registration page image on Ancestry is Yetta Locker then a handwritten addition Yetta Locher. 1c 444b

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Birth registration on FreeBMD, Yetta Locker September quarter 1902, Mile End registration district.
    There is also a registration for a Yetta Locher, same quarter and registration district, but if you look at the page image on FreeBMD this has been added in pen at the bottom of a type-written page. It has a similar page number (444b) to Yetta Locher (444) and what I think has happened here is that the parents have realised that the Locher surname was mis-spelt, so the name has been re-registered with the correct spelling.

Birth registration on GRO own site - Fetta Locher, September quarter 1902, Mile End Old Town registration district. Mother's maiden name Samson.

Marriage registration on FreeBMD - Philip Locker with a Rebecca Samson on the same page, September quarter 1901, Mile End registration district.

Note that in both cases there is no 'p' in Rebecca's surname.

I found the same 1901 census entry as suemalings.
    It's a complicated family. Living in Mile End Old Town.
    Census reference RG12/330 folio 36 page 22.

Adelaide Samson, 42, wife, born Holland, German subject
    Moses, son, 15 bootmaker, Holland, German subject
    Esrail (sic), son, 2, London Spitalfields
    Rebecca, daur, 20, single, tailoress, Holland, German subject
    Hannah Brill, 17, step-daughter, cigar maker, Holland, German subject
    Solomon Brill, 15, step-son, bootmaker, Holland, German subject
    Elezia Brill, 12, step-son, Holland, German subject
    Philip Brill, 10, step-son, Holland, German subject
    Sophia Brill, 7, step-daughter, London Spitalfields
    Philip Locker, 22, son-in-law, single, railway porter, Holland, German subject.

Birth registrations :
    Israel Samson, June quarter 1899, Whitechapel registraion district, mother's maiden name Aandgat.
    Nearest one I could find for Sophia Brill is Sophy Bril, June quarter 1893, Whitechapel registration district, mother's maiden name Under.

A couple of things to note:
    There is another Rebecca Samson living in Mile End Old Town in 1901. She's 19, born Limehouse, living with parents Henry and Rachel.
    However, the presence of Philip in the same household as the first Rebecca makes her the most likely one.

Secondly, Moses Sansom, bootmaker, is shown as employer. That could be an enumerator error for employee, but it could be correct. Might need to see if you could find him in any of the trade directories.
    Moses could have trained Philip to become a bootmaker between the census and the birth of daughter Tetta.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

JewishGen have a school record for Laura Locker Jews Free School admitted 1.2.1897 left 12-1902 Parent/Guardian Philip Locker 11 Tenter Street
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    How do you know about Phillip and Rebecca? Do you have proof that they were Yetta's parents? The only Phillip I could find on any census was living in Mile End, age 22, born Holland(a German Subject) working as a Railway Porter. He was a Son In Law (although says single!) to, who looks like, an Adelaide Samson also born Holland. There is also a Rebecca, the daughter of Adelaide, born Holland. Phillip and Rebecca's marriage registration is September quarter 1901 in Mile End. I have now found the marriage entry for Yetta (or Jetta) in the Netherlands Marriage Index.
    Dear Sue, hope you are well.
    Her parents as I wrote them down are mensioned in the marriage certificate of Yetta and my family member Jacob Rimini in 1924.So we must take those data to be correct, also the so called wedding attachments state these names.
    Best regards, have a nice weekend, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Birth registration on FreeBMD, Yetta Locker September quarter 1902, Mile End registration district.
    There is also a registration for a Yetta Locher, same quarter and registration district, but if you look at the page image on FreeBMD this has been added in pen at the bottom of a type-written page. It has a similar page number (444b) to Yetta Locher (444) and what I think has happened here is that the parents have realised that the Locher surname was mis-spelt, so the name has been re-registered with the correct spelling.

Birth registration on GRO own site - Fetta Locher, September quarter 1902, Mile End Old Town registration district. Mother's maiden name Samson.

Marriage registration on FreeBMD - Philip Locker with a Rebecca Samson on the same page, September quarter 1901, Mile End registration district.

Birth registrations :
    Israel Samson, June quarter 1899, Whitechapel registraion district, mother's maiden name Aandgat.
    Nearest one I could find for Sophia Brill is Sophy Bril, June quarter 1893, Whitechapel registration district, mother's maiden name Under.

There is another Rebecca Samson living in Mile End Old Town in 1901. She's 19, born Limehouse, living with parents Henry and Rachel.
    However, the presence of Philip in the same household as the first Rebecca makes her the most likely one.

Secondly, Moses Sansom, bootmaker, is shown as employer. That could be an enumerator error for employee, but it could be correct. Might need to see if you could find him in any of the trade directories.
    Moses could have trained Philip to become a bootmaker between the census and the birth of daughter Tetta.
    Dear Pam, hope you are well.
    Thanks for your data, the name of Yetta's mother in the marriage documents with Jacob Rimini is with a p
    Hvae a nice weekend, best rgds, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

Birth registrations :

Dear Pam, fromn where would they conclude some of this family are Germans? The name Locher would sound and looks like German, maybe they changed it in the UK into Locker, that name is on her birt certificate.
    Rebecca and Philip both have Holland writtenn and a German subject, so which is which? If I would have data on that German aspect I could search there.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast