Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question:

Est-il possible en Angleterre de trouver des renseignement sur William BROOKBANK mon plus vieil ascendant connu ?

Merci par avance

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Le recensement de 1851 me semble plus juste que celui de 1831. Pour moi Joseph et né en 1917 à Keswick.
    Il se sont marié le 26 mars 1838, Manchester (j'ai acheté l'acte. L'orthographe des nom et incorrecte

https://www.geneanet.org/archives/ac...nligne/1402683

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefbkbk View Post
    Question:

Est-il possible en Angleterre de trouver des renseignement sur William BROOKBANK mon plus vieil ascendant connu ?

Merci par avance
    Translation:
    Is it possible in England to find information on William BROOKBANK my oldest known ascendant?

thanks in advance

Le recensement de 1851 me semble plus juste que celui de 1831. Pour moi Joseph et né en 1917 à Keswick.
    Il se sont marié le 26 mars 1838, Manchester (j'ai acheté l'acte. L'orthographe des nom et incorrecte

https://www.geneanet.org/archives/ac...nligne/1402683
    Translation:
    The 1851 census seems to me fairer than that of 1831. For me Joseph was born in 1917 in Keswick.
    They were married March 26, 1838, Manchester (I bought the deed. The spelling of the names is incorrect.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Question:

Merci par avance

I have not been able to find anything,

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It seems to me that the archives in England are very difficult to find before the 19th century

Brick wall demolition expert!

It seems to me that the archives in England are very difficult to find before the 19th century

The answer is yes and no. Apologies if you already know this but:

It is easier if you have an unusual family name, or if you have well known ancestors, or if you have an ancestor who was a priest, or one who was an aristocratic or if you are just lucky.

Why lucky? The national census did not start until 1841, civil registration of births, deaths, and marriages did not start until 1837. Before that date you have to essentially rely on church records, which record baptisms, funerals and marriages.

Not all church records have survived or have been put on line, as there are no rules saying they must be put in one archive. The availability of records depends upon what type of church your ancestor attended-: Church of England, non-conformist, Catholic etc.

Before 1837 the only legal marriages were those conducted in the Church of England, so nonconformist and Catholics had to marry there. However those early records do not tell us the names of parents. There was no legal requirement to be baptised just a religious or moral one. However we know that many were not or at least until they were older.

Obviously earlier research is a complicated subject, but hopefully this will give you an overview.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your explanations.

I think my family was nonconformist. I have a burial of Joseph in the Philip Cemetery in Manchester which attests to this. In France we are lucky enough to have data up to the 16th century quite easily. I'm frustrated because it's my paternal branch that is the least informed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12