Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default French need Help for is english family

Hello,

I need help to complete my tree

I am French of English origin. Excuse my bad English.
    I am very difficult for a French (non-bilingual) to seek is of English origin.
    And unlike France, searches in England are not often free.

My great-grandfather Albert BROOKBANK fought in the First World War in France.
    He met his wife at the end of the war returned to Manchester and returned to France in 1924

below what i know

Génération 1
    1 - Albert BROOKBANK 1882 Manchester-1955 Arques (France)
    Génération 2
    2 - Joseph BROOKBANK 18 avril 1848 - Manchester - Décédés ?
    3 - Janes GREENHALGH 10 avril 1848 - Arrondissement de Warrington - Décédé ?
    Génération 3
    4 - Joseph BROOKBANK 1817 keswick (Cumberland)- Décédé ?
    5 - Harriet JACKSON 1817 Statford Lancashire
    6 - Benjamin GREENHALGH - ?
    7 - Louisa BENNETT - ?
    Génération 4
    8 - William BROOKBANK
    9 - ? ?
    10 - James JACKSON
    11 - ? ?
    Lien vers mon arbre GENEANET : https://gw.geneanet.org/brookbanks_w?...rt;n=brookbank

Merci à tous pour votre aide

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    I’m sure that some help will appear, but while you wait, you could look at FreeBMD. Birth certificates started in England in 1837, and the census in 1841.

There are other Albert Brookbanks born around the same time but this is the only one I can see with the father Joseph.

Manchester, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915
    Albert Brookbank
    Birth Date 21 May 1882
    Baptised 30 July 1882
    Baptism Place: Collyhurst, St James, Lancashire, England
    Father: Joseph Brookbank, occupation General dealer.
    Mother: Jane Brookbank
    Two addresses given - 6 Newburg St and Queen St

Joseph and Jane's marriage
    Jane Greenhalgh Birth Year - about 1849
    Marriage Date: 27 July 1872
    Parish: Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George
    Father's name - Benjamin Greenhalgh
    Spouse's Name - Joseph Brookbank
    Spouse's Father's Name - Joseph Brookbank

From your post it appears that you may have these records so are you only looking for information going back from Joseph Brookbank born 1817? Names aren't always as definite in their spelling the further back we go in time so a variation of Brookbank to look out for is Brockbank. There will probably be others too.

1881 census RG11 Piece 4003 Folio 71 Page 49
    6 Newburgh Street Manchester.
    Joseph Brookbank 32 general dealer born Manchester
    Jane Brookbank 32 born Warrington
    Louisa Brookbank 3 born Manchester
    Jane Brookbank 1 born Manchester

I see that geneanet tree has Joseph's death as 3 January 1898 and his death place as Manchester but on FreeBMD the only death of a Joseph Bro*bank I can see is registered in the June 1/4 registration district LEEDS Yorkshire and it is for a Joseph Brooksbank age 61. So the death registration is late for someone with a death date of January 3rd because it has to be registered within 6 weeks of the death and also the death registration has to be done in the place of death which in this case is Leeds Yorkshire. Joseph could have been there working of course. But the birth dates don't fit

I am having trouble finding them on the 1891 census where Albert should be with them.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

I see Christina has beaten me to it! However, have some different information:

Albert Brookbank was in the 6th Divisional Ammunition Park Army Service Corps during World War 1.
    The following is extracted from the National Roll Of The Great War 1914-1918
    BROOKBANK A, Private, R.A.S.C.
    He volunteered in September 1914 and after training at Liverpool was later in the same year drafted to the Western Front, where he rendered valuable services in conveying ammunition to the firing line. He was engaged in fierce fighting in the Somme, Passschendale, the Aucre, Arras and Cambrai sectors and served in France until November 1918. Demobilised in January 1919 he holds the 1914 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals. 175, Brook Street, Miles Platting, Manchester.

In the 1911 Census he was living at 23 Abel Street, Rochdale Road, Manchester as follows:
    Name, Relationship to head, Marital status, Age, Birth year, Occupation, Birth place
    Jane Brookbank, Head, Widow, 62, 1849, -, Warrington
    Jane Brookbank, Daughter, Married, 31, 1880, -, Manchester
    Albert Brookbank, Son, Single, 28, 1883, Carter, Manchester
    Florence Brookbank, Daughter, Single, 23, 1888, Cotton picker, Manchester

In the 1921 Census he was living with his mother, and sister in the parish of North Manchester. Also there was his wife, Louise who was born in Belgium in 1882.

I haven’t found him in the 1901 Census, but his mother and sisters Jane and Florence were living at 173, Montague Street, Manchester. Nor can I find any of them in the 1891 census.

Joseph Brookbank died in Manchester in 1897 [Certificate references: 1897 Quarter 4, Manchester, Volume 8D Page 186, aged 49]
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 20-10-2022 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Only details available via the free index on the 1921 census may be given.

Hi Megan.
    Good find for Joseph's death in 1897 which proves that we should not believe everything submitted by others until we have checked it out. See my post above where geneanet says he died in 1898.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Jane Greenhalgh birth registration: 1849 Warrington Quarter 2 Volume 20 Page 1028 mother’s maiden name Bennett.

I struggled to find records for the Greenhalgh family, however there is a family at Ancestry which has the records, which shows that the name has been transcribed as Greenhall. Looking at the original they are very difficult to read, and Greenhalgh is a name familiar to those in Lancashire and others may not been able to spell that which they heard. The name is said GREENALSH. So I have now found them on FindmyPast:

In 1851 they were in Warrington. Reference: Piece, 2203 - Folio, 485 - Page number, 26. Their name is recorded as GRUNALE
    First name(s), Relationship, Marital status, Age, Birth year, Occupation, Birth place
    Benjamin Grunale, Head, Married, 34, 1817, Labourer, Stockport
    Louisa Grunale, Wife, Married, 34, 1817, -, Stockport
    William Grunale, Son, Unmarried, 11, 1840, Tile maker, Stockport
    Harriett Grunale, Daughter, -, 10, 1841, Scholar, Warrington
    Mary Ellen Grunale, Daughter, -, 8, 1843, -, Warrington, Lancashire, England
    Daniel Grunale, Son, -, 4, 1847, -, Warrington, Lancashire, England
    Jane Grunale, Daughter, -, 2, 1849, -, Warrington, Lancashire, England

In 1861 they were in Ancoats, Manchester. FindmyPast does not have their records, and Ancestry has them as GREENALGH, and has completely confused their names, such that Louisa becomes Teressa, Jane becomes James and so on. Ref: Piece, 2935 - Folio, 47 - Page number, 13. The original is very difficult to read, so below is the transcription for Ancestry, and then after each name I have put in capitals what I think is the correct name:
    Benjamin Greenalgh, 44
    Teresa Greenalgh, 44 LOUISA
    Amit Greenalgh, 20 HARRIET
    Mary Ellin Greenalgh, 18
    David Greenalgh, 14
    James Greenalgh, 12 JANE
    Margart Greenalgh, 10
    Thomas Greenalgh, 8
    Sarahan Greenalgh, 4
    Benjamin Greenalgh, 1
    Mary Teresia Greenalgh, 2/12 MARY LOUISA
    Sarah Ellin Greenalgh, 2/12

In 1871 they were in Manchester. References : Piece, 4058 - Folio, 85- Page number, 31
    Benn Greenhalgh, 54
    Louisa Greenhalgh, 54
    Jane Greenhalgh, 22
    Margaret Greenhalgh, 19
    Thomas Greenhalgh, 17
    Benjamin Greenhalgh, 11

Benjamin Greenhalgh and Louisa Bennett married 22 August 1837 at Cheadle, Cheshire. Unfortunately marriage records in those days did not give the names of parents.

Benjamin Greenhalgh died 18 November 1884, in the county lunatic asylum having been first admitted to there 17 February 1871. He appears in both the 1871 and 1881 censuses at home, so perhaps he was not there all the time.

We know from the Censuses that Louisa Bennett was born in Stockport, so this would appear to be her baptism:
    20 September 1816 at Stockport the daughter of John and Deborah Bennett.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello and thank you very much for your help.

Je vais parler en français si çà ne vous dérange pas.

Je n'avais pas les informations pour la famille GREENHALGH

J'ai beaucoup d'informations que je ne vous ai pas communiqué dans un premier temps pour ne pas alourdir le message. Ci dessous un lien qui vous permettra d'avoir plus d'éléments pour m'aider à compléter les générations les plus anciennes. Si vous ne pouvez pas l'ouvrir, faites le moi savoir. Mon arrière grand père Albert a eu un parcours de vie qui mérite d'être connu. Je posterai son histoire incroyable sur la rubrique qui convient.

https://gw.geneanet.org/brookbanks_w...=on&src=on&v=5

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefbkbk View Post
    Hello and thank you very much for your help.

Je vais parler en français si çà ne vous dérange pas.

Je n'avais pas les informations pour la famille GREENHALGH

J'ai beaucoup d'informations que je ne vous ai pas communiqué dans un premier temps pour ne pas alourdir le message. Ci dessous un lien qui vous permettra d'avoir plus d'éléments pour m'aider à compléter les générations les plus anciennes. Si vous ne pouvez pas l'ouvrir, faites le moi savoir. Mon arrière grand père Albert a eu un parcours de vie qui mérite d'être connu. Je posterai son histoire incroyable sur la rubrique qui convient.

https://gw.geneanet.org/brookbanks_w...=on&src=on&v=5
    To save the internet being flooded with requests for 'translate French into English' , here's what Stefbkbk wrote:

I'll speak in French if you don't mind.

I did not have the information for the GREENHALGH family.

I have a lot of information that I did not communicate to you at first so as not to weigh down the message. Below is a link that will allow you to have more elements to help me complete the oldest generations. If you can't open it, let me know. My great grandfather Albert had a life course that deserves to be known. I will post his incredible story on the appropriate section.

(See the link in post #7.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brookbank family:

1851 Census - Camplins Buildings, Manchester
    Ref: Piece: 2228 / Folio: 405 /Page Number: 24
    Name, Relationship, Marital status, Age, Birth year, Occupation, Birth place
    Joseph Brookbank, Head, Married, 34, 1817, Labourer, Keswick, Cumberland,
    Harriet Brookbank, Wife, Married, 36, 1815, -, Salford, Lancashire,
    James Brookbank, Son, -, 11, 1840, Scholar, Manchester,
    Joseph Brookbank, Son, -, 3, 1848, At home, Manchester,

1841 Census - River Street Mount Street, Manchester
    Ref: Piece 572 / Book No. 10 / Folio 25 / Page 7
    First name(s), Age, Birth year, Birth place
    Joseph Brookbank, 20, 1821, -
    Harriott Brookbank, 25, 1816, Lancashire, England
    James Brookbank, 1, 1840, Lancashire, England

Joseph Brookbank died 1877 Manchester Quarter 4 Bol 8d Page 133 aged 64
    Joseph Broockbank (actual spelling in the marriage register) married Harriet Jackson 26 March 1838 at Manchester (Cathedral) He was a foundryman, and his father William was a tailor. Harriet’s father, James Jackson was a dresser. Joseph was able to sign his name, but Harriet was not.

Harriet died in 1886 in Chorlton (Quarter 1) aged 72 [Volume 8C Page 514]

In later censuses (1861 and 1871) Joseph is recorded as having been born in Whitehaven, Cumberland. I have not been able to find any records of his birth.

Harriet Jackson was baptised 28 April 1815 or 30 April 1815 (Manchester Cathedral), daughter of James and Ann Jackson. There are two records with different dates, but it is the same person. James was a “velvet dresser”.

I see from your tree that you have a different mother for Harriet Jackson – a lady called Harriet Vinson. I do not believe that she is part of your tree, because the daughter of that James Jackson and Harriet Vinson was born in Kent, which is on the South East Coast of England, and your Harriet Jackson was born in Salford (Manchester).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

=Megan Roberts;697947]Brookbank family:
    I see from your tree that you have a different mother for Harriet Jackson – a lady called Harriet Vinson. I do not believe that she is part of your tree, because the daughter of that James Jackson and Harriet Vinson was born in Kent, which is on the South East Coast of England, and your Harriet Jackson was born in Salford (Manchester).
    Je ne crois pas. Voici ce que j'ai sur l'ascendance d'Harriet Jackson

1 Harriet JACKSON, née le 30 avril 1815, Salford, England, baptisée, Manchester,England, décédée le 8 septembre 1875 (à l'âge de 60 ans) . Parents: 2 et 3. Mariée le 26 mars 1838, Manchester,England, avec Joseph BROOKBANK, né vers 1817, Keswick,cumbria,England, décédé le 8 septembre 1875 (à l'âge d'environ 58 ans) , ouvrier Travailleur de forge, fils de William BROOKBANK †1838/ et ? ?. [Note 1].

Génération 2
    2 James JACKSON, né vers 1777, Salford, England, décédé en 1846, Manchester,England (à l'âge d'environ 69 ans) , Drappier de velour. [Note 2].

... Marié le 7 juin 1797, Manchester,England, avec...

3 Ann HICKSON, née le 20 juin 1779, Manchester, England, baptisée en 1779, Manchester,England, décédée. Parents: 6 et 7. [Note 3].

... dont:

Harriet, née le 30 avril 1815, Salford, England, baptisée, Manchester,England, décédée le 8 septembre 1875 (à l'âge de 60 ans) . Voir 1.
    Génération 3
    6 x X.

... Marié avec...

7 Alice HICKSON.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast