Loves to help with queries

Default Rimini family revisited

Dear people who always help:

am now looking for a man who is named by the British Library:

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/p...r-circumcision

His name is Jacob Hayyim Rimini, supposedly from Florence:

The register of circumcisions performed by Jacob Hayyim Rimini of Florence between 1738 and 1779, occupies folios 10v-32r.

so he was a mohel but cannot find anything about him. He is probaly related to my Rimini family, Sephardic Jews probably from either Spain or Portugal and settled down in Italy. My oldest ancestor is a Jacob Rimini, born Verona 1731 who married an Esther Fionquino, she was born 1740 in Livorno, unknown where the above mentioned Jacob fits in.
    Some Riminis were born in London, many lived in UK and Holland.
    Jacob from Verona died Amsterdam 1824 and Esther 1828, she was first married to an Aaron Segre who supposedly married her in London 1767, they had one son Israel Segre who maybe was born in Gibraltar and died 1816 in Amsterdam

Hope anyone has got some leads to him, thanks in advance

Best personal regards,
    Paul Beek

Hi Paul
    This may not be an easy line to research because of limited data. You may have come across Jacob and Esther's burial dates on JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry-Netherlands- Jacob Fionquino Rimini d 1824 and Esther died 1828 both buried Beth Haim Ouderkerk. The Ancestry and JewishGen family trees have very little data but there are 2 sons Alexander Elkan died 1844 married in London 1775 and Jacob died 1855.

I have not checked or verified the data. The last name Rimini may not be an original name and further research is needed.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Paul
    This may not be an easy line to research because of limited data. You may have come across Jacob and Esther's burial dates on JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry-Netherlands- Jacob Fionquino Rimini d 1824 and Esther died 1828 both buried Beth Haim Ouderkerk. The Ancestry and JewishGen family trees have very little data but there are 2 sons Alexander Elkan died 1844 married in London 1775 and Jacob died 1855.

I have not checked or verified the data. The last name Rimini may not be an original name and further research is needed.
    Hi Philip, hope you are ok and in good health.
    Problem is mainly: I do not know if he is family at all since his name does not appear anywhere except in that publication. Maybe I check with overall organisation for Jews in UK, since he was a mohel he is maybe registered somewhere?
    Have a nice day, rgds, Paul

Hi Paul
    The manuscript was written in Italy and it is possible that it is the Italian or Dutch Jewish organisations that might have a record of him rather than the UK.

There maybe family trees on the line in Italy and the Netherlands more so than the UK. Do you know if he even came to the UK?

Hi Paul
    The manuscript was written in Italy and it is possible that it is the Italian or Dutch Jewish organisations that might have a record of him rather than the UK.

There maybe family trees on the line in Italy and the Netherlands more so than the UK. Do you know if he even came to the UK?
    Hi Philip

Maybe you are right, I just assumed it had to do with UK because it is in the Brish Library and why would they keep a document of Italian/Dutch origin?
    OK, have a good evening, will stop this thread.
    Best regards, Paul

Hi Paul
    The British Library has millions of books etc world wide not just of British origin. We don't know if the tombstone for Jacob still exists and if it did does it have his Hebrew name with his father's name. It would be worth your checking. I would start with the Dutch location and check out Sephardic sources.

Hi Paul
    The British Library has millions of books etc world wide not just of British origin. We don't know if the tombstone for Jacob still exists and if it did does it have his Hebrew name with his father's name. It would be worth your checking. I would start with the Dutch location and check out Sephardic sources.
    Hi Philip, yes, finding things like this is hard, will first cncentrate on trying to get data from Italy.
    Have a good evening, Paul

Hi Paul
    You might want to look at JewishGen Italian Resources for Jewish Genealogy and use the website links for a focus on areas you are interested in. See also Jeff Malka's SephardicGen Resources Italy; Italy Jewish Records-FamilySearch. There are other sites but please note that the Italian Jewish Records are often limited.
    Check if there is a SIG Group for Italy on JewishGen -I haven't checked.

Hi Paul
    You might want to look at JewishGen Italian Resources for Jewish Genealogy and use the website links for a focus on areas you are interested in. See also Jeff Malka's SephardicGen Resources Italy; Italy Jewish Records-FamilySearch. There are other sites but please note that the Italian Jewish Records are often limited.
    Check if there is a SIG Group for Italy on JewishGen -I haven't checked.
    Goodmorning Philip, thanks again for your good advice, will try to find what I am looking for, always a long shot when you have no data only a name and a town.
    Have a good day, Paul