Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Bates from West Bromwich

ADDED BY MOD:

To anyone new to this thread, please read at least as far as post #14 as the names of the parents given in this opening post are incorrect.

I'm helping my cousin to find his roots and haven't got far on his father's side. I hope someone can help me. I don't need help with Vowles (his mother's side).
    This is what I have.
    Albert Andrew Bates b. abt 1923 West Bromwich, died 2000, married Ida Vowles in West Bromwich, abt 1946.

His father: William Bates, his mother: Edith Davies married abt 1921 in Walsall.

I know it's not much, but I have faith in you all

Shay

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Shay,

If you haven't already done so, you need to acquaint yourself with FreeBMD, and the GRO's own website which now contains indexes for births and deaths, though neither site has a complete record of all the BMD registrations since the beginning of civil registration in England and Wales on 1 July 1837.
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

You would then be able to give more precise information, such as Albert Andrew Bates birth registered March quarter 1923 West Bromwich registration district. mother's maiden name Davies. This saves people having to waste time confirming the accuracy of your 'about'.

Does your cousin have any idea of when and where William and Edith died, and how old they were?

Did Albert Andrew have any siblings? There seems to be quite a few Bates/Davies marriages/births in the West Brom area.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

If your cousin hasn't got a copy of William and Edith's marriage certificate then I think getting it is a priority. It will give their ages, William's occupation, as well as the names and occupations of their fathers.
    Get the details re volume and page numbers, etc, via FreeBMD, and then order from the GRO. Both website addresses given in my previous post.

A quick search of the 1921 census index shows four likely candidates for William living in Walsall registration district, though only one (born 1894) living in Walsall Wood, Aldridge, same parish as an Edith Davies, born 1893.

I cannot repeat enough that it is foolish to try and put two and two together to make four without more proof. In this case, via the marriage certificate.

Bates Albert Andrew
    died Sandwell Staffordshire, 2000
    Birth date:25 Jan 1923.

A possible, same birth date as the possible death record.

The 1939 Register, it doesn't give relationships.

43 Albert St, West Bromwich.
    Edward Bates 55, 14 Dec 1884
    Florence Bates 54, 30 Aug 1885
    Edith Bates 25, 19 Mar 1914
    Thomas Bates 24, 28 Oct 1915
    Frederick Bates 22, 7 Mar 1917
    Ada Bates 19, 1 May 1920
    Albert Bates 16, born 25 Jan 1923, spring worker
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Shay,

If you haven't already done so, you need to acquaint yourself with FreeBMD, and the GRO's own website which now contains indexes for births and deaths, though neither site has a complete record of all the BMD registrations since the beginning of civil registration in England and Wales on 1 July 1837.
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

You would then be able to give more precise information, such as Albert Andrew Bates birth registered March quarter 1923 West Bromwich registration district. mother's maiden name Davies. This saves people having to waste time confirming the accuracy of your 'about'.

Does your cousin have any idea of when and where William and Edith died, and how old they were?

Did Albert Andrew have any siblings? There seems to be quite a few Bates/Davies marriages/births in the West Brom area.
    I found the names of Edith and William from BMD. For some reason, my cousin didn't know why, his father didn't have so much contact with the family. My cousin thinks there was an uncle Tom and also aunt Doris. He hear of these in his late teens.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Bates Albert Andrew

A possible, same birth date as a possible death record.

The 1939 Register, it doesn't give relationships.

43 Albert St, West Bromwich.
    Edward Bates 55, 14 Dec 1884
    Florence Bates 54, 30 Aug 1885
    Edith Bates 25, 19 Mar 1914
    Thomas Bates 24, 28 Oct 1915
    Frederick Bates 22, 7 Mar 1917
    Ada Bates 19, 1 May 1920
    Albert Bates 16, born 25 Jan 1923, spring worker
    My cousin mentioned Albert Street, and the date of birth for Albert is right. I've heard that there was a Thomas amongst the siblings, so this could be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Bates Albert Andrew

A possible, same birth date as the possible death record.
    The death is correct here. Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice

Did Albert marry Ida Griffiths or Vowles?

There’s a marraige for

Albert A Bates
    JFM 1946
    West Bromwich
    Staffordshire
    Spouse: **Ida Griffiths**
    Volume Number: 6b
    Page Number: 1383

Ida Griffiths was born 1924 her MMN- was ***VOWLES.***

Quote Originally Posted by shaygriff View Post
    I found the names of Edith and William from BMD. For some reason, my cousin didn't know why, his father didn't have so much contact with the family. My cousin thinks there was an uncle Tom and also aunt Doris. He hear of these in his late teens.
    So, in other words, Edith and William could be a guess for the marriage of Albert Andrews' parents? In which case the priority is not the marriage certificate for Edith and William but the birth certificate of Albert, in order to confirm his parent's names. Your cousin can get a black-and-white PDF copy for £7.00 from the GRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    So, in other words, Edith and William could be a guess for the marriage of Albert Andrews' parents? In which case the priority is not the marriage certificate for Edith and William but the birth certificate of Albert, in order to confirm his parent's names. Your cousin can get a black-and-white PDF copy for £7.00 from the GRO.
    Hello Pam, thanks again. I've just been on the phone with my cousin. He's found his father's birth certificate and it is the information almac produced.
    I have all the information on Ida Griffiths (Vowles) that is my line. I'm getting old and mixed up a little

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast