Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default George SEFTON and Jane Elizabeth WEBB

In 1858 George Sefton was Married in Australia. On his marriage certificate his place of birth appears to be Farnsworth London. From his given age he was born in 1825. When his son was born Georges's birthplace is clearly given as Surrey. His parents are George Sefton and Jane Elizabeth Webb.
    I have had no success in finding any trace of George or Jane or of the younger George in England. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    John

I'm assuming I've found the right marriage certificate. It's for George Sefton a mariner and Matilda Elizabeth Aram.

It names George's parents as George Sefton a mariner, and Jane Elizabeth Webb.

The certificate says born London no mention of Farnsworth, just plain London no district.

The marriage was on 9th Mar 1865 and George is entered as 37 years, so born abt. 1828.

His present address is given as Bar????? Steamer which fits with him being a mariner.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thank you - that was actually his second marriage but the details of his parents is consistent.It's the parents that I can't find any record of or indeed of young George's birth

Super Moderator

Did Matilda Aram die in Victoria? about 1891? Father was John Hudswell (?), Mother Elizabeth Speakman.

Matilda married James Aram in Stepney in 1839. She was Matilda Maria Hudswell born 21 November 1820.

There is an entry under Australia, Death Index 1787-1985: Name: Matilda Hudsell, Spouse: Aram Jas. Child: Matilda Elizabeth Sefton. Not sure what this mean exactly. No dates at all.
    In 1841 Matilda is showing on the 1841 census along with her husband James, and son John

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bruce View Post
    On his marriage certificate his place of birth appears to be Farnsworth London.
    John
    I've checked GENUKI's gazetteer and there is no such place.

Its worth noting that in 1825 the county boundaries encompassed much of what today is just called London. So Surrey would have gone all the way north and west to river Thames, and even Southwark would have been described as being in Surrey.

Super Moderator

Just in case: George Sefton died 11 August 1884, buried in Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton North. Plot MGC-COE-Comp-CC-No-90. There are probate records too. George died of an aneurism of the cerebral canal. Looks like there was a Coroner's Inquest. He was a Night Watchman at the ...... Market and he has left a wife and three children. The writing is not good, I can't read anymore

Famous for offering help & advice

Possibly not connected as its 10 years too early, but there is a George Sefton born c1815 London in the Merchant Seamen's records.

Looks like he deserted 10 July 1843 at St Helena. Could be deceased, but looks more like Dest than Decd to me.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you but it's George Sefton's parents that I'm after. I agree that the record you've found is a little strange to say the least. I might pursue that one day after I've exhausted all avenues for George Sefton and Jane Webb

Loves to help with queries

"When his son was born Georges's birthplace is clearly given as Surrey."

Who is the informant?. Who is recording this birthplace for George SEFTON?

Is this the marriage, 1858?

VIC BDM marriage

184/1858 SEFTON George marr. WATTE, Kate Maria Sherman

Can you please list all the information on the certificate.

All the information is useful....names, ages, addresses, occupations, name of church/denomination, names of witnesses, do all parties sign ie can write?

Starting to feel at home

On his son's birth cert the informant is his wife Kate WATTS. She could not write so the information is all written by the registrar.
    Yes you have the right marriage cert.
    Married in the home of the Church of England minister John Ch?
    witnesses George V?. Elizabeth D?
    Although the "his mark" terminology isn't used it is obvious that the minister has completed most of the information and the registrar has also completed the top section of the certificate including George and Kate's place of birth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast