Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Settling in

Default Art Photographer EDMUND HARRINGTON

I’m already for a long time desperately looking for a published Biography, Obituary, Death announcement or Death advertisement of UK photographer EDMUND HARRINGTON. Before WW2 he owned a photoshop/Studio in Old Bond street in London and just after WW2 he owned a photoshop/Studio in the centre of the Hague / the Netherlands addressed Noordeinde #93, right in the vicinity of (at the time Queen’s -) nowadays Kings palace “Noordeinde”. Late 50’er years of former century he emigrated or remigrated. Some photographs made by him in 1920 and later on are circulating on auction sites and He’s also known as been a friend of Cecil Beaton.
    I’m performing some genealogical research for a friend whose deceased parents were close to him during his Dutch period. Only with the consult of an announced proof he’s not still alive it will possible to request a copy of his personal record as made-up by the municipality of the Hague upon arrival in the Netherlands and archived by the Ministry of Foreign affairs upon his (re-?)emigration. I would be very obliged when somebody is able and willing to help me for asked information or handing over the method to obtain one of them.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums

In 1934 he was at 180 New Bond St. I wonder if he was there in 1939 when the England and Wales Register was taken. If so it would give his date of birth which may help in finding his obit.
    Added: The only Edward Harrington, photographer showing up in 1939 is married, age 56 and living with his wife Winifred and a possible son Leo at 33 Frogmore St Abergavenny Wales.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the rit-Gen forums

In 1934 he was at 180 New Bond St. I wonder if he was there in 1939 when the England and Wales Register was taken. If so it would give his date of birth which may help in finding his obit.
    Added: The only Edward Harrington, photographer showing up in 1939 is married, age 56 and living with his wife Winifred and a possible son Leo at 33 Frogmore St Abergavenny Wales.

Christina
    Thanks very much Christanel for your welcome words and for reached me a possible handle for further research.
    PS: Just wonder where the abbreviation RIT as mentioned in rit-Gen Forums stands for?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Welcome to the rit-Gen forums

Christina
    That Edward came up as an alternative when I searched for Edmund.

I've also tried the 1921 census, using Edmund Harrington, birth year 1900 +/- 20 years, and occupation as 'photo*'.
    Two results, both for Edwards.
    The one in Abergavenny, plus another born in 1880 living in Southend-on-sea who is in Southend in 1939.
    Then searched the 1921 census for Edmund, born 1880-1920, photo*, with no success even allowing for mistranscribing of surnames, e.g. Warrington instead of Harrington.
    Same result of zilch using Harrington, and then looking for a mistranscribed Edmund.

No results for Edm* Harrington in 1901 and 1911 census for Scotland.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Geuze View Post
    I’m already for a long time desperately looking for a published Biography, Obituary, Death announcement or Death advertisement of UK photographer EDMUND HARRINGTON. Before WW2 he owned a photoshop/Studio in Old Bond street in London and just after WW2 he owned a photoshop/Studio in the centre of the Hague / the Netherlands addressed Noordeinde #93, right in the vicinity of (at the time Queen’s -) nowadays Kings palace “Noordeinde”. Late 50’er years of former century he emigrated or remigrated. Some photographs made by him in 1920 and later on are circulating on auction sites and He’s also known as been a friend of Cecil Beaton.
    I’m performing some genealogical research for a friend whose deceased parents were close to him during his Dutch period. Only with the consult of an announced proof he’s not still alive it will possible to request a copy of his personal record as made-up by the municipality of the Hague upon arrival in the Netherlands and archived by the Ministry of Foreign affairs upon his (re-?)emigration. I would be very obliged when somebody is able and willing to help me for asked information or handing over the method to obtain one of them.
    Have you tried pointing out to them that if someone was in business in the 1920's then they would be over 120 years old now if they were still alive?

Hi
    Pam I typed Edward and actually searched Edmund. Duh!
    I just did a whole world search on FMP and still only 9 results but only two for Edward Harrington photographer in Abergavenny in 1921 and 1939 still.
    There is an Edmund C Harrington born 13 July 1880 living Southend On Sea in 1939, a Photographic overseer and Traveller Photographic Department Bank Notes. He is with his wife Lilian.
    When he and his wife Lilian's son Ivan was baptised 24 February 1907 at Balham Hill Ascension Wandsworth Edward was recorded without the middle initial C and his occupation was photographer.
    Edmund C Harrington Birth abt 1881
    Death April 1955 Southend on Sea, Essex, England
    volume 5g page 815

Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Geuze View Post
    Thanks very much Christanel for your welcome words and for reached me a possible handle for further research.
    PS: Just wonder where the abbreviation RIT as mentioned in rit-Gen Forums stands for?
    Christina made a typo. It should have read 'Brit-Gen' as in 'British-Genealogy'. I did correct it, but didn't see your post until I re-read the thread a few minutes ago.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Christina made a typo. It should have read 'Brit-Gen' as in 'British-Genealogy'. I did correct it, but didn't see your post until I re-read the thread a few minutes ago.
    Thanks for the corrections and the info concerning British gen forums, Pam. I’m quit sure his christian name will be Edmund because a I possess a photo made in his studio at the Hague around 1953 with on the backside a stamp with the text “Art Photographer EDMUND Harrington & address”. And yes, I pointed out it’s impossible this man is still alive. I send them even the list with names of the oldest people on world which I found by google, and his name is not mentioned as one of them. But “they” are real officials, so! (hi)

Settling in

Default Reply

Hi
    Pam I typed Edward and actually searched Edmund. Duh!
    I just did a whole world search on FMP and still only 9 results but only two for Edward Harrington photographer in Abergavenny in 1921 and 1939 still.
    There is an Edward C Harrington born 13 July 1880 living Southend On Sea in 1939, a Photographic overseer and Traveller Photographic Department Bank Notes. He is with his wife Lilian.
    When he and his wife Lilian's son Ivan was baptised 24 February 1907 at Balham Hill Ascension Wandsworth Edward was recorded without the middle initial C and his occupation was photographer.
    Edward C Harrington Birth abt 1881
    Death April 1955 Southend on Sea, Essex, England

Christina

Sorry I corrupted Your name, Christina. Furthermore I’m quit sure his christian name will be EDMUND. I possess a photo taken around 1953 in his studio in the Hague and the backside is stamped with the text “Art Photographer EDMUND Harrington & address”. Also the photo’s made by him i found on the auction site are attributed to EDMUND Harrington. Wtkrgs - Dick

I am going in to hiding and not coming out until i have learned to type the name Edmund and not Edward. I should not post as a distraction from other stuff in real life needing attention.
    So my post #6 should be Edmund C Harrington and wife Lilian.
    I am now going to correct his first name in that post.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast