Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Returning to the Hague for a minute, WieWasWie has an entry for an Edmund Harrington in The Royal Archive. He's not the current target as he was born 31 May 1822 (in Ireland), Roman Catholic, and employed as a valet on the staff of Prince Hendrik from 1 Feb 1852-1 May 1853. Unmarried at time of writing. It lists 2 previous employers, starting 1843, and info about his employment with the Prince.
    I'm wondering whether he's the previous generation - father or uncle?

There's also an announcement for the death of an Edmond Harrington in London on 1 Jan 1970, but I'm not paying to see the image of the entry.
    The GRO Index has no death registration of an Edmond/Edmund Harrington anywhere in England or Wales in 1970.
    Between 1960 and 1980, there are death registrations for two Edmunds. The 1961 Jomot1 found for Edmund Guy, who we think is the person Dick is looking for. Plus Edmund William John, born 14 October 1898, died in 1972, Redbridge (Essex) registration district. In 1939 he's a railway senior booking clerk, living in Southgate, North London.
    There is also an Edmond L. Harrington, aged 66, death registered June quarter 1962, Bath registration district. In 1939 he's a civil service clerk, living in Bathavon, Somerset.

I wouldn't have thought your Edmund born 1822 in Ireland would be the father of the Edmund born in 1898 in Chile. Though I know it's possible to become a father aged 76, it's not the norm. Might be the younger Edmund's grandfather.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

It's possibly once of those cases where a man, A, has several sons, each of whom called their first son after A, creating a pool of boys of the same name and similar ages. Both names are rare here in the soggy Netherlands, but what could be called "locally common" in one or two places.
    I went back and looked at the CBG's version of Edmond Guy Harrington's entry. It is slightly different - it looks like a baby death. Gives the birth as 1 Jan 1970, the subject of the report as death and location as London. The file only runs to 1970. Can't see any more unless I pay (or take an afternoon to visit).

Famous for offering help & advice

The image of Edmund Guy Harrington's birth registration in Chile is on Ancestry. Born 21 Mar 1898 in Iquique, Tarapacá, Chile to parents Edmundo Falcon Harrington & Maria Elena Pascal De Harrington.

Also to the same parents:
    19 Apr 1895 Dora Amy Harrington
    14 Apr 1896 Elena Oriana Harrington
    14 Mar 1899 Frederick Herbert Luis Harrington Pascal

The surnames all end with y Pascal or Pascal, which I presume is the way they do things in Chile!

Edmund Guy Harrington is with his family at 38 Holland Villas Road, Kensington. His father was born in Chile and his mother in Peru. Their marriage (image) is also on Ancestry.

Edmundo Falcon Harrington died at the Eaton Gate address on 6 Nov 1922 leaving an estate of £76,474 15s 4d.

Settling in

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A little more information - this says he was an antique dealer at the time of his death:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...2333/page/3055

This is a further record of his naturalisation. I believe that Dora Amy is his sister, and (next page) Frederick Herbert Luis is his brother, all three born in Chile:
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...2444/page/6976

I don't believe that Edmund ever married. In 1921 he and Dora Amy travelled together to Gibraltar, and in 1929 he travelled apparently alone to Tangier, Morocco. On both occasions he travelled First Class and stated that he had 'no occupation' suggesting he was independently wealthy.

You can purchase a copy of his will for £1.50 via the link I posted earlier, which may give you more information about his surviving family.

He was buried 7 April 1961 at St Pancras Cemetery (Camden), and it looks like 1 other person is buried in the same plot. For a small fee you can buy a copy of the burial record, including (for £2) a photograph of the grave. I can't post links to commercial sites, but search for the website "Deceased Online".

I have also found a little more about his military career. On 1 Oct 1917 he was promoted from Officer Cadet to 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Garrison Artillery: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...pplement/10563

On 11 Oct 1918 he was recorded as serving with the 308th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery and was admitted to the Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank (London) with piles (!). He was discharged 25 Oct 1918, and it was noted that he was aged 20 and had completed 1 year's service, of which 9 months was with the field force. Against his discharge it says One Months Leave, so I take this to mean he was in London on leave.

Thanks again, Jomot 1. Your pronounced fame of helping and advising isn’t caught on thin ai for sure. Overall the will of multiple members of this forum to help me is overwhelming and makes me grateful. I’m starting to get convinced too that Edmund Guy Harrington must be the one I’m searching for and will definitely try to get the recommended records. With kind regards - Dick

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Returning to the Hague for a minute, WieWasWie has an entry for an Edmund Harrington in The Royal Archive. He's not the current target as he was born 31 May 1822 (in Ireland), Roman Catholic, and employed as a valet on the staff of Prince Hendrik from 1 Feb 1852-1 May 1853. Unmarried at time of writing. It lists 2 previous employers, starting 1843, and info about his employment with the Prince.
    I'm wondering whether he's the previous generation - father or uncle?

There's also an announcement for the death of an Edmond Harrington in London on 1 Jan 1970, but I'm not paying to see the image of the entry.
    Thanks Lesley. Although I’m starting to get convinced too that Edmund Guy Harrington is the one I’m searching for I still don’t want to exclude other possibilities. On which site did you find the death advertisement of Edmund Harrington in London on January 1st 1970 ??

Knowledgeable and helpful

The electoral register had a Edmund Guy Harrington in Berkshire 1936/38/39.
    Julie

Settling in

Thanks, Blues Eyes. Still more links to check.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I forgot to add, Edmund Harrington is mentioned in the Tatler magazine and other publications - 1920/30. I’ve not got a subscription to view, but it looks like he is the one who has taken the pictures of the couples. The last mention is in 1941, again pictures of the couple, the location is give as Berks (Berkshire).
    Julie

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes View Post
    I forgot to add, Edmund Harrington is mentioned in the Tatler magazine and other publications - 1920/30. I’ve not got a subscription to view, but it looks like he is the one who has taken the pictures of the couples. The last mention is in 1941, again pictures of the couple, the location is give as Berks (Berkshire).
    These are the ones I mentioned at post #17.

CBG.nl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast