Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Christanel. Yes I have all that information from his war records. It narrows down his date of birth to about 1893. But sadly, I still do not have any real purchase on his natural parents.
    The details of his war time "accident" and the investigations are very thorough. As you say "this is your man". Thank you again
    David

There is this birth registration on the GRO index. I searched using Male only, no first names,no registration district.
    FARMER, -- No mother's maiden name given which usually indicates illegitimacy
    GRO Reference: 1893 June 1/4 in FULHAM Vol 1A page 299

Has this birth reg been mentioned/investigated?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

There are a few pension records for him on Fold3. One has his name reversed (ie George Arthur), and another gives his DoB as 2 Aug 1894.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is this birth registration on the GRO index. I searched using Male only, no first names,no registration district.
    FARMER, -- No mother's maiden name given which usually indicates illegitimacy
    GRO Reference: 1893 June 1/4 in FULHAM Vol 1A page 299

Has this birth reg been mentioned/investigated?
    Christina
    Unfortunately there is also a death of Male Farmer in Fulham in the same Quarter.

Clutching at straws a little here, but in the absence of any obvious birth registration I've taken a look at Greenwich workhouse records. The nearest possibility I can find is a birth on 20 Jun 1893 of a male child to a 25 year old single mother named Christina Farmer:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...30&cat=1223449

The discharge record shows his name as Geo H Farmer (discharged 11 July 1893 'to the House').

There is an illegitimate birth registration of a George Harold Farmer in the Jul-Sep quarter of 1893 that I assume is him, but I can't see him or Christina after this.

As an aside, I see from the 1891 census that the Salmon's previously adopted another child, George William Bish, baptised 19 Oct 1890 at Nutfield, Surrey, and buried 28 Jan 1895 at the same place. His parents appear to have been William Bish & Priscilla How. Priscilla Bish was buried 17 Oct 1890 at Nutfield, so likely died from childbirth complications.

If this is the same child that Jomot has found, I wondered if Christina might have similarly died soon after he was born, but there's no obvious death at FreeBMD. Next thought - did she marry?

Two possible marriages appear in the London area at FreeBMD up to the end of 1901 - but I haven't investigated further:

Dec qtr 1894, Mile End Reg Dist, Christina Farmer to Henry Hosier or George Jarvis
    Dec qtr 1896, Shoreditch Reg Dist, Christine Victoria Farmer to John James H Ellis or George John Jarvis

Following on from my 'clutching at straws' post, it appears that Christina/Christiana Farmer gave birth to an earlier child in Greenwich - James Henry Bowater Farmer born 1890.

In 1891 James is a nursechild in Greenwich in the home of Thomas & Anne Barnard.

Christina/Christiana was born in 1868 in Dudley, Worcestershire to parents Benjamin & Lydia (nee Chilton), & married Walter Thomas Hinks in 1897 in Sandown, Isle of Wight. The 1901 & 1911 census shows them still in Sandown, and although Christina's son James Henry Farmer is with them, there is no sign of her other son, George Harold Farmer.

To confirm that this is the correct Christina/Christiana, there is a creed register entry for her admission on 20 Feb 1893 that states "fa[ther] on the house", and Benjamin Farmer born Dudley c1820 is in the Greenwich workhouse in both 1891 and 1901.

ADDED: In 1891 she is enumerated (on FmP) as Christiana Farnell and is with her married sister, Annie Richards at Armitage Road, Greenwich.

To add to jomott #15

William G Salmon was also a witness on the marraige cert for William Bish & Priscilla How then later ‘adopted’ their child.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Pamela. I already have that information.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Arthurk. The Christina found by Jomot (who I am assuming to be the mother of Arthurr George Salmons) did indeed marry a Walter Thomas Hinks of Sandown I.O.W. and produced a furter 4 children.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast