Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullagine View Post
    Thanks Alma - those dates tie in with my existing years - but pin it down to the day and month

My next task is to sort out George Firmin senior as his wife Mary Anne has two husbands and her maiden name is not known for certain

regards

Shane
    This is where the early birth indexes on https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    come into their own.
    Prior to 1911/1912 no mother's maiden name was recorded on the original GRO Index such as that found on FreeBMD, FMP, Ancestry, etc.
    Search for the birth registration of George and Mary's Ann(e)'s children.

I only searched for George Jacob, and found a birth registration in December quarter 1857, Norwich registration district, mother's maiden name Batch.

FMP have the parish register entry for a marriage 29 January 1855 in Christ Church in the parish of St Clement, Norwich, George Firmin, 21, bachelor, gardener, living in New Catton. No father's name and occupation given.
    Mary Ann Batch, 21, spinster, living in New Catton, father Jacob Batch, occupation carter.

In the 1861 census George and Mary are living next door to a Jacob Batch but haven't investigated to see whether he is Mary Ann's father, brother, or cousin. Census reference RG9/1213 folio 107 page 14. (Indexed on Ancestry as Fermin.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

In the 1851 census Ancestry have linked George Firmin, son of John and Mary Ann, to the 1855 marriage and the 1861 and 1871 census. 1851 census reference HO107/1814 folio 353 page 44.

I've found what I think is a more likely candidate at HO107/1813 folio 331 page 32. Age 16, and a gardner (sic), living with mother Sarah Firman.

Can't easily find them together in 1841.

Hi Pam - thanks for this info - 2 questions

1. how do I use the reference to look at the census record ?

2. what made you think the lad living with Sarah was the more likely candidate ?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Nullagine View Post
    Hi Pam - thanks for this info - 2 questions

1. how do I use the reference to look at the census record ?

2. what made you think the lad living with Sarah was the more likely candidate ?

cheers
    1. If you use FMP, simply scroll down the search [age and you will see boxes labelled piece number, folio, page. The number written after the year designator and the slash (e.e.RG13/) is the piece number.
    If you use Ancestry you have to select the country (e.g. England) then you see the same options, again once you've scrolled down the page.

2. The occupation in the census is the same as that on the marriage certificate of George and Ellen. Doesn't mean I'm right; just don't assume that the Ancestry link is either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12