Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Sorry about the typo - brain and fingers are often out of sync at my age!

Thank you for the newspaper link. I have got page 4 of the relevant date/newspaper but it won't let me see page 3 without a subscription! Henrietta's father did come from Par though so this does look right.

I'm wondering whether if it is possible to query the 1902 marriage with the Chertsey registration office/district - would a phone call and a pleading voice illicit a quick look up?!

It's worth a try. You have the date and the names etc so ask. They can only say no.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    Thank you for the newspaper link. I have got page 4 of the relevant date/newspaper but it won't let me see page 3 without a subscription! Henrietta's father did come from Par though so this does look right.
    Are you definitely looking on FMP, and not the BNA? If so, that's rather weird.
    Try using the same filters of March 1903, West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser newspaper, and then trying in turn just the surnames of Haughton, Rooke, Symons, Fallon, Haly, as they are also in the BMD column. If none of them work then try Wilfred Lawson or Thomas Hugo, which are both names on the same page.

I'm wondering whether if it is possible to query the 1902 marriage with the Chertsey registration office/district - would a phone call and a pleading voice illicit a quick look up?!
    I think that unfortunately that will likely be a 'no'. If you knew the church/chapel or the date then you might get a 'yes'. A quick check shows that they could possibly have to check about fifty churches/chapels over that three-month period. (Which is why I didn't suggest it in the first place.) However, they might have all the marriages typed into a database which which make searching for a surname much easier, so yes, it is worth a try.
    If they push you for a specific place you could try St Mary's, Walton on Thames, the parish George was living in in 1901.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    Sorry about the typo - brain and fingers are often out of sync at my age!
    I was a fine one to talk about typos. Just re-read my first post and I managed to not only spell 'possibly' as poaaibly, but I also wrote 1892 instead of 1902. Managed to sprinkle some 'mod's fairy dust', so now you
    can't tell.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I thought some of you might appreciate an update on this. I ordered the 1902 marriage certificate after speaking to the Registry Office in Chertsey who had no other explanation/solution/suggestion to offer. The 1902 marriage was in the Registry Office and the witnesses do not appear to be family members. I then contacted someone with the same couple on an online family tree and he generously told me that he had the 1903 certificate for the marriage on 19th March 1903 at the Trinity Church, Sunningdale in Berkshire. Information given on this marriage certificate was slightly different from the earlier marriage but, importantly, witnesses to the 1903 marriage were Henrietta's brother, Robert Downing and her sisters Minnie Downing and Susan Downing.

My theory is that the couple married in haste, away from family at the Registry Office with no family present. Perhaps, there was opposition to the marriage. The second event was in a church with family witnessing it so perhaps, by then, the family had come to accept the couple's determination to be married and a 'proper' wedding was organised to publicly acknowledge it, celebrate as a family and gain a 'blessing' for it

Obviously, the second 'marriage' did not need a certificate and to be registered with the GRO but perhaps the couple didn't let on to the Church that they had already married. This is not something I have ever come across before and makes a very interesting addition to the story.

Sadly, George Coggins died in Flanders in 1916 and in 1921 Henrietta is with her children living as a 'housekeeper' with a widowed Mr. Meredith and his children. Henrietta married Mr. Meredith in 1937. Sadly, again, Mr. Meredith died less than a year after the marriage - perhaps they were living as man and wife for years but formalised it, in the face of age or illness, to give Henrietta 'status' as his widow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12