Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Not sure, but this might be the Catholic baptism to match the above, at St Chads, Cheetham Hill (Salford diocese)

Baptised 20 Feb 1859, born 12 Feb 1859 Georgius s/o Johannes Horan & Mariae Howard

Another long shot, but I wondered about these for possible sisters to 'your' George:

Baptised 20 Nov 1859 (born 30 Oct 1859) Catherine d/o James HORAN & Ellen HOWARD
    Baptised 17 Jan 1864 (born 27 Dec 1863) Ann d/o James HORAN & Ellen HOWARD

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Another long shot, but I wondered about these for possible sisters to 'your' George:

Baptised 20 Nov 1859 (born 30 Oct 1859) Catherine d/o James HORAN & Ellen HOWARD
    The parents of these two appear to have married in 1857, Manchester James HORAN and (same page) Ellen HOWARD

Another possible birth
    George Horne mmn Howard Sep Q 1858 Manchester

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Not sure, but this might be the Catholic baptism to match the above, at St Chads, Cheetham Hill (Salford diocese)

Baptised 20 Feb 1859, born 12 Feb 1859 Georgius s/o Johannes Horan & Mariae Howard

Parents names 'fit' better for Catherine and Ann, whereas George's parents translate as John and Mary.

George and Catherine are unlikely to be brother and sister.
    George born 12 Feb 1859, and Catherine born 30 Oct 1859 - only eight and a half month gap.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There is a registration of Hanora Horan mmn Howard Mar Q 1864. Could this be Ann?

I wondered about that, as there is an earlier Honora/Hanora born 1861 & died in 1862

Birth: HORAN, HONORA mmn HOWE GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 252
    Death: HORAN, HANORA aged 0 GRO Reference: 1862 J Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 191

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Parents names 'fit' better for Catherine and Ann, whereas George's parents translate as John and Mary.

George and Catherine are unlikely to be brother and sister.
    George born 12 Feb 1859, and Catherine born 30 Oct 1859 - only eight and a half month gap.
    I had actually looked at Ann and Catherine as possible siblings a long time ago and rolled them out.

I wondered about that, as there is an earlier Honora/Hanora born 1861 & died in 1862

Birth: HORAN, HONORA mmn HOWE GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 252
    Death: HORAN, HANORA aged 0 GRO Reference: 1862 J Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 191
    I have found DNA connections with the surname Holland.

Default Unfound birth or baptismal record

My great grandfather, George Richard Holahan, was said to have been born in Manchester around 1859 +/- 3 years. After much searching through all the records I can think of and using many sites such as Ancestry, Family Search, Find My Past, UK BMD, etc., I have been unable to find any record relating to George. His parents, James Holahan and Ellen Howard, were Irish immigrants who must have come to the Liverpool/Manchester area from Ireland before coming to the U.S. in 1866 and 1868 respectively. Is it possible that his birth or baptism (they were R.C.) was not recorded and, if so, was that a common occurrence among immigrants during that time. This is a major brickwall of mine that would open the door to many things if I could break through it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Peter,

Your latest post refers to George for whom a thread already exists. We don't allow duplicate threads because they lead to duplicated research (which is a waste of time) and, often, confusion.
    I have therefore moved your new post to the original thread about George.

You don't say if you've found George and his parents in the 1861 England census.
    Also, have you checked the Castle Garden passenger lists for when the family might have emigrated? See the first couple of paragraphs in this post for links to the site.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...e-US-1820-1957
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast