Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Wade/Mays of Stilton.

Folks,
    Wiliam Wade bc 1828 in Stilton married Sarah Haywood in Yaxley on 29 May 1851 but the entry shows his father as William Mays.My feeling is that Williams mother re-married after her husband died but i can find nothing to prove this as Stilton records do not seem to be online.
    Any ideas?
    Eric

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Eric,

Think this might be similar to my great-grandfather. He was baptised on the day his (presumed) parents married. Was listed on the census under his (presumed)father's surname on the census while he lived at home, but then used his correct (i.e. his mother's) surname after he left home. Led me a merry dance trying to find him on the census, his redeeming grace being that he used his father's surname as a middle name for his two sons.

From what I can see, in the 1841 census, living in Stilton, there's a William Mayes (sic), aged 40, with Ann (36), William (16). Francis (12), John (4), Mary (8), Sarah (6), and George (1 month).
    Census reference HO107/452/22 folio 17 page 32.

1851 census William junior is no longer at home. Aged 25, living in Yaxley, born in Stilton, and calling himself Wade.
    Census reference HO107/1747 folio 142 page 1.

Likely burial of William Mays senior, aged 70, on 14 October 1870, in Stilton. (From transcript on FMP.)
    In 1871, Ann Mays is shown as a widow, aged 72, living in Stilton.

Bearing in mind William junior's possible birth year of c1825, FMP have a index of a marriage of William Mayes to Ann Wade in Stilton in 1827.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

The registration for the marriage is in Peterborough and the name is Hayward.

Found these census entries:

1841 William Mays age 40 born Huntingdonshire
    Ann Mayes age 36
    Various children including William Mayes age 16

1911 census for a William Wade age 86 a widower, born Stilton. He is with his son (in law) Samuel Joseph and Samuel's wife, Sarah Ann. Samuel born in Yaxley, Sarah in Cambridge. They are living in Peterborough.

1861 census: Back Lane Cottage, Yaxley. william Mays age 33 born Stilton. Sarah age 30 born Yaxley. Children Lucy, Betsy, S A (no name but possible Sarah Ann the wife of Samuel Joseph in 1911)

1881 Census William Mays age 52 (I think) born Stilton
    Sarah Mays wife, age 40 born Yaxley Children, Elizabeth (Could be Betsey on the 1861) John, Edward, Mary and Stephen

Super Moderator

Just seen the entry in the 1881 census for Samuel Beeton and Sarah Ann, there is a Lucy Mays, a visitor, age 29.