Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Soldier discharged in the middle of WWI

Does anyone know if it was normal procedure to discharge soldiers in the middle of the First World War, and if so what would be the reason? It puzzles me that my great-uncle was discharged in January 1916, at a time when they were desperate for manpower - was wondering if it was because he was wounded (but there's no mention of a wound in the service records).

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

Especially during WW1, many men were discharged for health reasons. Poor living conditions in previous civilian life or at the front could have caused it. Injuries were also possible.

Have you looked for him on the Silver War Badge lists? If it was a health discharge, soldiers were generally awarded the SWB, especially if it was not obvious. It stopped people from assuming they were draft dodging, etc.

There's more info on the IWM site HERE

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for that information about the Silver War Badge lists. I had a look at the list through Ancestry and could not find him.
    I should have mentioned the term of his contract expired exactly when he was discharged, having enlisted in the Territorial Forces in January 1911. His contract specified a 4-year term with an option to extend by 1 more year if the Army Reserve had been called up, which of course it was. So perhaps it's just in line with that, but just seemed odd to me to discharge men at a critical time, while they were conscripting others.
    The other thing that made me wonder was the fact that his service records were in the 'unburnt' collection. Am I right in thinking that implies a pension claim was in progress at the time of the fire at the main warehouse? If so is there any way of finding out the basis for the claim?

Famous for offering help & advice

The same happened with my Grandad's brother, although I'm fortunate that his records survived. He too was in the Territorials & was discharged 'time expired' in March 1916 under King's Regulations 392 para 21, which I found very odd.

Another brother enlisted into the Territorials at the same time as him but extended his service and was sadly killed.

There is a form in his files entitled 'Declaration to be made by a Soldier of the Territorial Force on Re-engagement for the Period of the War' in which he says (pre-printed) that he is 'desirous of re-engaging'.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That's really interesting - the circumstances sound very similar in your first example. My great-uncle also has 'time expired' given as his cause of discharge on the Army B 103 form.

From your 2nd example it sounds as though the soldiers were given the option to extend their service, but it was entirely voluntary, and if they didn't want to do so they couldn't be forced, because of these 'King's Regulations'.

As a matter of curiosity I googled King's Regulations and it came up with links to various documents that explain the possible causes of discharge, including this link -
    https://www.military-researcher.co.u...roduction.html

Thanks for your post

Sorry, I had to dash off earlier.

I understand the 'time expired' discharge, but what puzzles me about my Great Uncle is that following the May 1916 extension of the Military Service Act he should have become liable for conscription.

Initially men who had been discharged on termination of service were exempt from conscription, but this exemption was withdrawn in May 1916.

I'm rubbish at remembering how to kill the live links, but here goes:

https://www.
    longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/the-1916-military-service-act/the-may-1916-extension-of-the-military-service-act/

Well done, right first time!

What was your Great Uncle doing after his discharge? Could it have been something considered important (I can’t remember whether “reserved occupations” were WW1 or WW2).

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

From memory Territorial Forces signed up for home defense and couldn't be sent oversea unless they agreed. They signed for 4 years with the option for the government to extend for 1 extra year. This changed after WW1 when the Territorial Army replaced them. The TA at the outbreak of WW2 automatically became part of the Regular Army.
    Keith

Can't promise to remember again next time though, Lesley - I can't remember why I walked into a room half the time these days!

Both of my Great Uncles were rivetters at a shipyard, so you may well be right. I don't have a list for WW1, but it was a reserved occupation in WW2.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Jomot1 - Yes it does seem a bit strange. According to the link you sent he would have become eligible for conscription in May, and the same would have applied to my great-uncle too. I see there was an exemption still if the soldier had been a POW or some form of internment. I know it's clutching at straws, but suppose it might be a possibility, although you'd think it would be mentioned in the service records.

Thanks for the link - that looks like a really good website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast