Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Hey everybody...try this

https://ibb.co/jLz2X6w
    Thanks Peter - don't know how you did that, but I reckon it says "General Hospital".

Reputation beyond repute

don't know how you did that
    Somewhere on your browser there will be an option to "view page source" or words to that effect. Try it! Don't panic if you've never seen HTML code before - look for some text you do recognize. You'll see the text
    Code:
    Image is here =https://ibb.co/jLz2X6w
    Select the bit after the "=" sign, copy it to the address bar and you're away!

Thanks Peter! I'll have a go - don't mind poking around the computer but I stop when it says something like "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Somewhere on your browser there will be an option to "view page source" or words to that effect. Try it! Don't panic if you've never seen HTML code before - look for some text you do recognize. You'll see the text
    Code:
    Image is here =https://ibb.co/jLz2X6w
    Select the bit after the "=" sign, copy it to the address bar and you're away!
    Thank you, Peter, that's a very useful tip.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi all
    Thanks for the comments and fixing the link etc
    I can still see it so not sure what happened.

I did find a General Hospital in the area the ancestor was at the time. Just wish I knew why he was there! Might help solve some mysteries!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default More help needed

I will add it here but if I need to make a new thread I shall

As per the original post - this ancestor seemed to have disappeared for 14 years and I have no idea why.
    I have his travel card from when he travelled back to join his children from Canda

1 line in this image (by bottom) is badly blurry and I am trying to find the name of the ship. SS Ontario??? Or similar?
    Any help is appreciated as this mystery as to where he was for 14 years (and not with his wife) is bugging me!!!!

Thanks x

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Might be worth looking for a newspaper report to see if he was there because of an accident.

Do you know how long after the date of that document that he died? Sometimes a death will certificate will say 'xyz after six weeks'. Again, if you know when he died, look for a newspaper report about his death.

I think the best site for USA papers is newspapers.com, but if he was from the UK then check out the British Newspaper Archive. It is truly amazing what got reported at times. (In a report from the 1950s it says my cousin was presented with a gift of table linen from her work colleagues.) If I remember correctly you can view your first three results for free.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    All except the latest updates from the BNA are also available on Findmypast if you have the relevant subscription.

Added: Just seen that you added a further post while I was s-l-o-w-l-y typing.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks, he died Another 10 years after he returned to usa from canada, i think those 14 years he was missing he may have been treated somewhere for Parkinsons. Thats my best guess for why he was away from his family for 14 years that wasn;t because of the war

Famous for offering help & advice

If this is his death then there is an obituary on Familysearch. ( I can’t see the obit )

United States, GenealogyBank Historical Newspaper Obituaries, 1815-2011

Joseph Maguire
    Male 82yrs
    Event Date 27 Feb 1925
    Event Place Springfield, Massachusetts
    Event Type Obituary
    Residence Date 26 Feb 1925
    Death Date 26 Feb 1925
    Newspaper Springfield Republican

The info on FS states 3 Daughters & 1 son.

Miss Mary Maguire

Mrs Arthur Woodhall

Mrs Howard Merchant

John Maguire

Something to try in locating him in 1906 or 1916 is the Canadian census for those years (if you think he was there.) This was the period when the Prairie Provinces joined Canada and the census was to determine development of those 3 provinces Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba Hope this can help. I think the first hospital mentioned read Central ...it lacks an e as in General.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12