Thread: Hello I'm Gary

Post Hello I'm Gary

Good afternoon wherever you may be. I have been researching family for about 10 years but have come up against a brick wall trying to trace an ancestor who may have been 'invented' by the mother to cover the birth of two illegitimate children during the 1914-1918 war. We can find no trace of this mans birth marriage or death in uk records and have only found a male with his name in the 1921 census (apparently with the wife and family) and in the baptism record of his first child in 1917. In the baptism record his occupation is shown as a Sgt in the Royal Engineers but we can find no trace whatsoever of him in the war records. Hoping through this site we can get some answers.
    Thanks
    Gary

Hi Gary and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.
    Our members love trying to break down the brick walls that our ancestors built so you have come to the right place for help.
    Take a look around, choose a suitable forum (brick walls?) tell us all the facts you have and our sleuths will take it from there.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Welcome in, Gary. To add a little to what Christina said, don’t forget that about 2 thirds of WW1 military service records were destroyed in the fires of WW2, so not finding one doesn’t mean as much as it could. If you haven’t already done so, have a look for possible candidates on the medal rolls index - it’s more complete but of course only an index. Also, check the CWGC site in case the guy in the 1921 is not yours.
    Enjoy!