Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Capt. James Weir - 50th Regiment of Foot.

I am trying to find out a bit more information relating to Capt. James Weir of the 50th (Duke of Clarence's) Regiment of Foot.

Little exists concerning his time with the regiment and indeed history of any action he might have been involved in or, decorations etc., received. I would be grateful for any information that might be available beyond the undernoted.

Name : James Weir

Regiment : 50th (Duke of Clarence's) Regiment of Foot.

Born : December 1796 in Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland

Death : At sea, Calcutta, India 1 Jan 1841 (from military records) but a contradiction exists from information on a Memorial Stone erected in St. Aiden's Churchyard, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland (see attached link)

https://hidrive (dot) ionos.com/lnk/NqSzHJfc

This memorial states his death to be 18 Nov 1853 in Broughty Ferry, Dundee.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 21-08-2022 at 7:46 AM. Reason: Url broken as per T&C. Copy/paste and replace (dot)

Famous for offering help & advice

Scotlands People has a will 7/1/1854 (presumably probate date) for James Weir Captain in Her Majesty's Fiftieth Regiment of Foot, residing in East Cottage of Broughty Ferry.

ADDED: I can't see any trace of a record saying he died in 1841, but he is on the British Army, Worldwide Index 1841 as being stationed 'At Sea, Calcutta'.

Various newspapers also report his death as 18 November 1853, at Broughty Ferry

Reputation beyond repute

Have you obtained WO 25/794/178? What does it say?

would he be the same James Weir who (according to newspapers) as an Ensign transferred from the 47th Regiment to the 50th in about November 1818

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Scotlands People has a will 7/1/1854 (presumably probate date) for James Weir Captain in Her Majesty's Fiftieth Regiment of Foot, residing in East Cottage of Broughty Ferry.

ADDED: I can't see any trace of a record saying he died in 1841, but he is on the British Army, Worldwide Index 1841 as being stationed 'At Sea, Calcutta'.
    Thanks Jomot1 I think that I have read the record wrongly and you are correct in his place of death.It seems that I should pay more attention. I will check out his details locally in Dundee and work in reverse.

Much appreciated.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Have you obtained WO 25/794/178? What does it say?
    available here (image 481 & 482 of 532): https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4397544