Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Exclamation Millers and Thrunton Mill

Hi all, I am researching the Miller family who at one time owned Thrunton Mill, Whittingham. I have a gap atm that I just need a little help with.

I have Albert Miller b 09 Mar 1909 in Thrunton Mill, Whittingham. He married Elizabeth Mary Lowther about Aug 1930 in Gateshead, Durham, England. I just can't find positive proof of Albert's parents for some reason. I did search for his baptism/christening if any but no go. In the 1911 census he is living with his grand parents at the mill, there is also John Miller aged 29 and single who is a son of the head of household. I can't just assume that this John is Albert's father, so if any local records can solve this it would help a lot.

I know that buying a Birth Cert should clear this up, but I am doing this for a friend and they don't have info either.

Whittingham is in the Rothbury registration district according to freeBMD so then using the GRO index in 1909 there is only one birth reg for Albert Miller Rothbury and that is June 1/4 vol 10b page 575. There is no mother's maiden name g1ven which indicates an illegitimate birth to a mother with the surname Miller.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

In case you have not seen it, there is a photo of the mill at https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/t...d-outbuildings

I see that there is an Elizabeth Miller age 20 daughter of Robert and May Miller on the 1911 census. Could she be Albert's mother? Only the birth certificate will tell in the absence of a baptism record.
    Christina.
    William Burroughs

Elizabeth Miller is still single in the 1939 register and is a Poulterer and dairy farmer adress Thrunton Mill
    Albert and his wife Olive are at The Apiary Whittingham Albert is a honey producer and appliance manufacturer. Written to the right hand side column says he is a member of the Observer Corps.
    Death Elizabeth Mary Miller age 89 birth date 1 September 1890 registered March 1/4 1980 Registration District Northumberland North Second vol 1 page 2187
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Taking the family back to the earlier census in trying to eliminate some of the likely mothers of Albert.

1911 census - living Whittingham
    Census reference RG14/PN31177 SN99
    Robert Miller, 68, farmer, Edlingham
    His wife is indexed as May on FMP, but looking at the image it might be a badly-written Mary, 63, Eglingham
    John, son, 28, farmer's son, Whittingham
    Elizabeth, daughter, 20, farmer's daughter, Whittingham
    Albert, grandson, 2, no birthplace given

Also, in 1911 - living in
    Census reference RG14PN31089 SN79
    Edward Miller, widower, 38, blacksmith
    Jane Straughan Miller, sister, 40, housekeeper, (Think Straughan is a corruption of her mother's maiden name)
    Both born Glanton.

1901 - living Whittingham.
    Census reference RG13/4850 folio 32 page 5
    Robert Miller, head, 58, farmer, Abberwick (which is a township in Edlingham parish)
    Mary, wife, 53, (can't decipher place; not familiar with Northumberland )
    Robert, son, 21, plumber, Glanton
    John, son, 18, farmer's son, Glanton

Also in 1901 - living in Glanton
    Census reference RG13/4850 folio 32 page 5
    Edward Miller, widower, 28,
    Jane, sister, 29
    Elizabeth, sister, 10,
    All born Glanton.

1891 - living Glanton
    Census reference RG12/4265 folio 39 page 5
    Robert Miller, 48, blacksmith, Edlingham
    Mary, 43, Eglingham
    next page so strictly speaking census reference is RG12/4265 folio 39 page 6
    Jane, 21, Eglingham,
    Edward, 18, blacksmith, Whittingham
    Robert, 12, scholar, Whittingham
    John Wm, 7, scholar, Whittingham
    Elizabeth May, under 7 months, Whittingham (Name clearly written as Elizabeth May, though her birth registration on FreeBMD is Elizabeth Mary.)

1881 - living Glanton
    Census reference RG11/5124 folio 45 page 7
    Robert Miller, 38, blacksmith,
    Mary, 33, (same place as in 1891, indexed on FMP as Beanley)
    Jane S, 11, (indexed on FMP as Fawdon)
    Edward, 8, Glanton
    Robert, 2, Glanton

1871 - living Glanton
    Census reference RG10/5175 folio 30 page 2
    Robert Miller, 28, blacksmith, Abberwick
    Mary, 23, Blanley(Beanley?)
    Jane, 1,
    plus William Miller, age 21, who is Robert's brother.

So it would seem that Robert and Mary had only two daughters, Jane and Elizabeth, and with them both living in Glanton in 1911 either of them could have been Albert's mother, though my money is slightly more on Elizabeth simply because he's living in the same house as her.

In case you haven't got that far back, Robert Miller married Mary Straffen June quarter 1870 Alnwick registration district.

ADDED:
    FMP have some Northumberland baptisms but not as late as 1900+, so you will need to try Northumberland Archives.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Alnwick Mercury, 14 Apr1950
    There is a report of the funeral of "... Edward Miller, Glanton, age 78 - eldest son of the late Mr R Miller who was the Glanton Village blacksmith 80 years ago, and it is 127 years ago since the grandfather of Edward Miller served his apprenticeship ...
    Chief mourners - Mr Robert John Miller, South Bromford (son) and Mrs R J Miller; Mr R Miller (brother), Whittingham Lane; Miss Miller (sister), Thrunton Mill; Mr A Miller (nephew) and Mrs Miller, Thrunton Mill Agency ...".

A number of mentions of "Miss Miller, Thrunton Mill" from 1917 onwards in the newspapers, whether as an accompanist in local concerts or winning prizes for her dairy products, potatoes etc.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for all the help, I have made some progress, but there is a lot here to compare with what I have found. I will post later to answer the various options. A bit late tonight, also researching a German link for my own family. So gets a bit confusing at times

Starting to feel at home

Thumbs down

Sorry please delete this post will post new one.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    In case you have not seen it, there is a photo of the mill at https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/t...d-outbuildings
    Thanks I found that photo, though the mill was a bit different when I visited it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast