Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I see that there is an Elizabeth Miller age 20 daughter of Robert and May Miller on the 1911 census. Could she be Albert's mother? Only the birth certificate will tell in the absence of a baptism record.
    Christina.
    Yes I am waiting for an answer from my friend, she may have a bcert.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Taking the family back to the earlier census in trying to eliminate some of the likely mothers of Albert.

Also, in 1911 - living in
    Census reference RG14PN31089 SN79
    Jane Straughan Miller, sister, 40, housekeeper, (Think Straughan is a corruption of her mother's maiden name)
    Both born Glanton.

1891 - living Glanton
    Census reference RG12/4265 folio 39 page 5
    Elizabeth May, under 7 months, Whittingham (Name clearly written as Elizabeth May, though her birth registration on FreeBMD is Elizabeth Mary.)

So it would seem that Robert and Mary had only two daughters, Jane and Elizabeth, and with them both living in Glanton in 1911 either of them could have been Albert's mother, though my money is slightly more on Elizabeth simply because he's living in the same house as her.

In case you haven't got that far back, Robert Miller married Mary Straffen June quarter 1870 Alnwick registration district.

ADDED:
    FMP have some Northumberland baptisms but not as late as 1900+, so you will need to try Northumberland Archives.
    Hi Pam I have found these records too so have cut some from the quote.

Re: 1911 Census Jane Straughan Miller I have a scan of the family bible page that gives her name as correct so I think a mention of Straffen elsewhere could just be a 'clerical error' at that time.

Again Elizabeth May is written in scan as Elizabeth Mary, so that seems to be as above. In my mind Elizabeth is probably Albert's mother, but as we always say, Proof if possible is important, not 'may be'.

I will contact Northumberland Archives and see what they can come up with.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Alnwick Mercury, 14 Apr1950
    There is a report of the funeral of "... Edward Miller, Glanton, age 78 - eldest son of the late Mr R Miller who was the Glanton Village blacksmith 80 years ago, and it is 127 years ago since the grandfather of Edward Miller served his apprenticeship ...
    Chief mourners - Mr Robert John Miller, South Bromford (son) and Mrs R J Miller; Mr R Miller (brother), Whittingham Lane; Miss Miller (sister), Thrunton Mill; Mr A Miller (nephew) and Mrs Miller, Thrunton Mill Agency ...".

A number of mentions of "Miss Miller, Thrunton Mill" from 1917 onwards in the newspapers, whether as an accompanist in local concerts or winning prizes for her dairy products, potatoes etc.
    Hi thanks for that, I had missed this info in my searches. It is more to flesh out the family.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfKent View Post
    Hi Pam I have found these records too so have cut some from the quote.

Re: 1911 Census Jane Straughan Miller I have a scan of the family bible page that gives her name as correct so I think a mention of Straffen elsewhere could just be a 'clerical error' at that time.

Again Elizabeth May is written in scan as Elizabeth Mary, so that seems to be as above. In my mind Elizabeth is probably Albert's mother, but as we always say, Proof if possible is important, not 'may be'.

I will contact Northumberland Archives and see what they can come up with.
    If your friend hasn't got a copy of Albert's birth certificate, buying a copy of it should give proof of which sister is the mother. Though it might not be the first time someone has said they're the mother when it's unlikely that they were.
    Buy the certificate from here
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Think a no-frills black-and-white copy costs seven quid.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi
    I am the grandson of Albert Miller & live at the home he built ( The Apiary , thrunton , whittingham ). His daughter Olive is my mother & lives next door to me in the original house ( built in 1936 ) . We still own thrunton mill within the family . We know probably everything you need to know about Albert Miller , my grandmother Olive , Albert's mother Elizabeth etc .
    Please email me if you want to at winklertokay AT aol DOT com , kind regards Paul Winkler .
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 06-10-2022 at 7:17 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers.

Starting to feel at home

Sent personal email.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12