Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Translate Jewish headstone

Hi all,

It has been a while since I have done any family history research, I got a little stuck on where to go next. It all got a little overwhelming. Well this weekend we took our little boy to London to visit the science museum. We managed to fit in a visit to Edmonton Federation Cemetery and take a couple of photos of what I believe may be my Great Grandmothers headstone. There is one thing that didn't match up with regards to the husbands name on the headstone but everything else matched.

So the reason for my post is I was wondering if there is anyone on here who can translate part of a Jewish headstone.

Thank you

​​​​​​​Esther

Hi Esther,
    Could you please provide the name of your great grandmother and when she died?
    Have you checked against cemetery scribes to see if there is a record?
    Have you also checked against Jewish Gen world wide online burial records?
    If these sources do not give you the information you need may I suggest you contact
    Gaby Laws at Cemetery Scribes who may be able to help.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Hi Philip,

Thank you so much for the tips. I had never heard of the cemetery scribes site so I have headed straight there to take a look, unfortunately there is nothing available for Annie.
    I had been on the Jewish Gen website before but quite a while ago. I think I was going round in circles when I first used it. I looked at the burial section last night, I found Annie but there was no additional info on there. I am glad you mentioned Jewish Gen though as I will definitely have another try to understand it better.

The details of my Great Grandmother...

Annie Cohen (Barron)
    DOB 1896/97
    DOD 4th December 1926

Her husbands name was Mark Cohen, however the headstone reads Eleazor.

Thank you again for your help.

Esther

Hi Esther,
    I am away at present, but will check Jewish chronicle archives to see if there is any information on your line.The first name, Mark, is an adopted anglicised first name. Eleazor is his Hebrew name.if you look on Synagogue scribes, births, marriages and deaths records you will see both the adopted first name and the Hebrew name. This also includes surnames. I will post further information when I return home but I recognise the Barron name, and my own paternal line includes Cohen.

For clarity the photograph of the tombstone of Annie Cohen can be seen on Edmonton Federation of Synagogues Cemetery Find a Grave. She is plot R 24 47. Her death is age 30. The inscription is in both Hebrew and English.

Hi Phillip,

I added the photo to Find a Grave yesterday. We visited London at the beginning of the week and we managed to get to the cemetery to take the photo. I had found the plot number on Find a Grave but there was no photo.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions so far. I often hit a wall and I find nothing new out so it is nice to be given some direction of other places to try.

Thank you again for all your help so far.

Esther

Hi Esther
    I have contacted Gaby Laws and she has kindly said that the inscription reads Hanna Keila bat Aharon ( that is Annie's Hebrew name and that of her father. Eliezer Mordecai ben Zvi Zalman Joseph HaCohen is also the Hebrew name for Mark and his father's name.

Can I suggest that you contact Gaby ( I know you have not done this as yet) and send her the photographs of Annie's tombstone so that she could add these to Cemetery Scribes records. This would also ensure that further data is also added.

Please let me know if you would be prepared to do this.

Hi Phillip,

Wow, thank you ever so much for supplying this information. Of course I will contact Gaby and send across the photographs that I took, I will send them this evening.

Can I please check, Annie's husband was Mark Cohen and her father Solomon Barron. Does that match in with her headstone?

Hanna Keila bat Aharon is Annie's Hebrew name, Is the bat Aharon what I know as Barron? Apologies if that is a silly guess.

Eliezer Mordecai ben Zvi Zalman Joseph HaCohen is Annie's husband Mark Hebrew name. When you say and his father's name do you mean the family name, as in the surname?

Apologies again if these are silly questions. Would you suggest that I start doing searches for the Hebrew names?

Thank you ever so much for all your help so far Phillip, it really is amazing to know this information.

Do you have an email address for Gaby or should I use the message section on cemetery scribes?
    Last edited by Estherlesley; 21-08-2022 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Addition

Hi Annie
    I am enclosing more data for you. First of all,you can contact Gaby via the Cemetery Scribe website see contact link. If there is a difficulty come back to me and I will contact Gaby. You will see from the Cemetery Scribes Blog that I work with Gaby doing a variety of research including wills and articles.
    In Hebrew the bat is the daughter of... and ben the son of ...

You will see from the enclosed data that the Cohen and Barron are adopted Anglicised names. Annie appears with her parents in 1911 Census (Copyright TNA) 31 Gloucester Buildings St.George in the East:
    SOLOMON BARRON H M 45 b Russia Tailor Presser Coat Work
    Jane wife b Russia 40 Telling Hand Vests Married 16 years 7 children all alive
    Annie dau 14 b London
    Dora dau 13
    Hannah dau 9
    Fanny dau 7
    Joe son 4
    Reuben son 2

Naturalisation Certificate 17 December 1912
    MARK COHEN 35 Lashan Buildings Shoreditch born Dennenburg Courland Russia son of SOLOMON and RACHEL COHEN Russian Subjects. Cabinet Manufacturer 4 children under age Morris 7,Esther 5, Jane 3,Harry 1
    1891 Census (Copyright TNA) RG12 274 54 19
    25 Shepherds Street Buildings Spitalfields London
    SOLOMON COHEN M 35 Cabinet Maker b Punyoung Russia
    Rachel wife 32
    Lewis son 7
    Rosa dau 4

I have yet to check fully JewishGen for the location of the lines if they are listed.

I see that Mark lived until 1960. He and his parents originate from the Pale of Settlement Courland part of the Empire of Russia and a huge area where many Jews were forced to settle. I have relatives from Courland.

Let me know if this data makes sense to you.

Hi Phillip,

The data you have just sent matches with what I have got. It is nice for someone to confirm it. The furthest I have got is Solomon Cohen and Rachel Cohen - Mark's parents. Solomon Barron and Jane Barron - Annie's parents. I believe that Solomon Barron's father was Elias and Janes father was Matheus. I feel like I have been stuck in the same spot for ages.

It is nice to know the Hebrew names so thank you very much for your help with that.

Where would you suggest that I look next? I am guessing that I should start searching with the Hebrew names?

I really can't say thank you enough.

Esther

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast